1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh Oh...No More SS Pak here

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by HTguy, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    I noticed that here in LA, at least, the complete Super Station Pack is no longer available.

KWGN, WPIX & KTLA are available a la carte but the UPN channels WSBK & WOR are no longer qualified.

We have a UPN channel locally so I must assume that the great UPN "Network" put the kabosh on distant affiliates.

KTLA is a local WB station, which sort of reduced the value of the SS Pak around here anyway. No one here will need it a la carte. So that leaves us with just one Denver & one NY distant channel. (And they're WB, too.)

But it's still sad to see that people around here who might have wanted a Boston station to keep up on news & sports there and that ex New Yorkers or anyone else that wanted another indy channel are out of luck.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Actually - it was probably the LOCAL UPN exercising Syndex....

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    People often think of the networks---and even the netlets as monoliths. While there are large staion ownership groups it really is a pretty losse affiliation for the most part.. Most of us still have our supers.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    That is not a recent change. I tried qualifying a home in So. Cal about a year ago and the supers package was not available. I have no sympathy for folks in So. Cal. Compare your locals package to most anyone else and you are the clear winner.

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    HT Guy, the SS UPN channels have not been available to new subs in the SoCal area of over a year. I think it's even getting closer to two years. Ever since Dish and KCOP had that run-in, KCOP claimed syndicated exclusivity on their programming. This forced Dish to remove the UPN channels or black them out extensively. To prevent the moaning and whining that black-outs bring, they just removed them from the line-up in SoCal.

But don't you guys get like 23 local channels for the same price I have to pay for 6? What's the deal with that? :)

See ya
    Tony

6. Five Hole

Five Hole Legend

Jun 23, 2002
    I ran an address at the Dish website a few days ago in western Riverside county (Lake Elsinore area) because I will probably be living there due to a new job. I wanted to see if I could get distants. I noticed when I ran it , UPN superstations were available via Dish. This suprised me because that area is in the Los Angeles DMA. I just checked an address in Temecula and it shows LA channels with all of the superstations available.

7. HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    For several months now we have been able to pre-build customer accts prior to installation in order to speed up the activation process. This includes selecting the customer's programming packages. Up until this past week everybody qualified for the entire SuperStation package. That's why it jarred me to see that now they don't. Frankly, it has very little impact since hardly anybody requested it anyway.

As far as our big lineup of locals is concerned, so many of them are Spanish or East Asian language or church or shopping channels that only a multi-lingual religious compulsive shopper like you, Tony, would care about them! ;)

8. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If Dish would not allow me to get the SuperStations anymore I would get the bigger dish just to get them, at least WB, in which I thought I seen was FTA with the DVB FTA receiver.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Did a quick check..... still qualify for the supers.... whew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.