1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UHF Remote Wars

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Nick, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My cute new next door neighbor just got a Dish 4-room system. She must be a tv nut like me. Did I say she is cute? The good news is we share a common wall. That's also the bad news. Obviously, at least one of her remotes is UHF set on remote address 1, same as my 811 remote.

The other bad news is she has three kiddos, also cute. The other good news is her eldest cute daughter just turned 18 ;) Just kidding! :rolleyes: Geez!

But I digress...

We have had a few episodes of changing each others channels - I know what's going on, but I'm not sure they know what's going on. I usually just switch to another receiver or to cable rather than exacerbate the situation.

Anyway, I did manage to change the address on the remote, but I couldn't figure out how to change the ra on the 811 receiver. Dishnetwork's site is pretty much useless. Can someone please give me the skinny on the 411 for the abc's in 1-2-3 order on how to change remote addresses on both the box and the remote?

tia

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson ViP622/ViP722 Guy DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
  3. Dish Dude

Dish Dude AllStar

Mar 13, 2005
    after you change the address just press record, and your done, pull up the system info screen and you got it

4. JPointerWI

JPointerWI AllStar

Jul 28, 2005
    you need to be in the system info screen to change the remote code, but dont do it from the remote, press the sys info button on the front of your receiver. That way, you only change your remote/receiver not everyone in the neighborhood.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I had this problem when I got my 6000U, as there was a neighbor near me who had the same remote... I would come into the living room to see my channels flipping around, and it was strange.

My fix turned out to be a good one for me... I took off the UHF remote antenna and use my remote in IR mode... so I may or may not be changing their channels but they aren't changing mine!

Then, I hooked the antenna to my OTA connection, and viola I get my local HD channels.

Win-win.

6. gpflepsen

gpflepsen Guest

7. Effer

Effer Cool Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Not really... I just did a search for "cute neighbor" and didn't find anything. ;)

8. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Seems to me you should keep your box on her remote address. Knowing and watching what she's watching could really help when you striking up the conversation.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, thanks everyone.

I successfully changed my 811's ra to "7", but don't tell anyone. Like most things in life, it was EASY once I learned how to do it. I can imagine the president's chief pilot of AF1 saying the same thing about flying a 747.

"Yes, Mr. President, it was pretty easy once I learned what all those levers, switches and colorful displays are for. What's that, Mr. President? You want to swap seats with me for a while? With all due respect, Sir, I don't think that would be a good idea, especially since we just reached 38,000 ft."
    Yes, you're right, of course, but how else would we have been able to have this fascinating conversation? I just wanted to give some of you Dish know-it-alls as chance to strut your immense personal EKB.
    I like the way you think, David. :grin: Not being a smooth talker, I doubt if I could have found a subtle way to bring it up in casual conversation. I probably would have blurted out something stupid like "I just happened to notice you were watching "Sex In The City" on channel 139 last night. Are you interested in cities?" :D

...and I sure as hell wouldn't want her and her kiddos to inadvertantly see what I'm watching, which is mostly CNN, FOX and TWC. I may be boring, but I'm very well informed. :)

Again, thanks for all the help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.