1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate newbie question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fiveputts, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    Here it comes ... brace yourselves ....

Is it really ok to turn the power off on these things? Is this the "standby" mode I've seen mentioned on this site?

(You can all now slump your shoulders, look down and shake your heads.)

My old hughes tivo doesn't even have a power switch.

Please point me the right direction if there is previous discussion on this.

thanks

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry..

The ultimate "newbie" question is: "How do I post a question".. :D

As to your question:
    It is fine to turn it off. During a recent survey, people have concluded that that you "may" be better leaving it on for now.

Actually very old DTivos had a StandBy button, which is the same as the on/off button.

Not a big deal either way.

3. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Turn it off...its ok...when you come back it will have buffered 90 min....its a good thing!

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums. :welcome_s

We're here to help so fear not, you will be teased from time to time, but you will also get serious answers too.

The HR20's "off" is very similar to the standby mode of the Tivo's. It actually is powered up but the outputs and LEDs are turned off. The unit continues to buffer the active channel (or intends to) and records programs as scheduled. And it continues to receive guide data.

There are some known problems with the HR20 being turned back on, but those seem to be diminishing.

My suggestion is to leave it on, unless the unit is in a bedroom and the lights are bothersome.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Did you notice I was the only one to give you a straight answere!!???

6. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007

7. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    Lancaster, I see you have a Denon receiver, I do also. Do you know of any Denon forums for nontechies?
    thanks

8. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Thats the bueaty of denon...they just work...if u have a problem it is somewhere else.

9. Flyhigh

Flyhigh Mentor

Feb 5, 2007

10. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006

11. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but what the heck: Do you know if I really need a Denon ipod dock to play my ipod through my Denon? I can only get sound out of the right speakers when I plug it into the front av inputs. It works fine on my old Yamaha in the garage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.