1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra loud tone on MLB during ads

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DarkAudit, May 11, 2009.

1. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    At least twice this afternoon while watching MLB, the audio of an ad was replaced with an incredibly loud single frequency tone. Just an EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE noise. Many many times louder than even the loudest commercials I've heard. When the ad ended, audio was back to normal. About 45 minutes later, it happened again on a different ad. You could hear the tone all over the house. Definitely not normal. One of the ads was for a DirecTV boxing PPV. Didn't pay attention enough to the second, but it was a different ad.

CSRs were no help whatsoever. First they wanted me to reboot. No. The signal came from DirecTV. Then they tried reading a canned script about how a) the programming came from the content providers, not DirecTV, and b) advertisers do sometimes broadcast at a higher level than regular programming. The girl stuck to this line no matter how many times I tried to explain that this was orders of magnitude louder, and one of the ads was a DirecTV-inserted ad. I finally gave up trying to get a straight answer and came here.

Any ideas what's going on here? It's not the emergency alert tone. It's a single XXXX hertz tone lasting the entirety of the ad.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I heard this today on an Ad for an insurance company or something, but I assumed it was supposed to be on that particular ad (the whole ad was just text, kind of warning the viewer about how they might be paying too much for insurance or something). It was extremely annoying, but started right when that commercial did and ended when that commercial was over.

Are you sure it happened on a PPV ad?

3. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    The first time it happened today was during a DirecTV ad for a boxing PPV. I was watching the All-Time game from '77.

4. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I was watching espn earlier today and got the same thing every time a Directv ad came on for UFC PPV.

5. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    They want you to buy their product!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR CRAP!

THEY DON'T CARE HOW ANNOYING THEY ARE!

6. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Well if they end up blowing out my speakers or a family member's eardrums, not only will I not be buying their crap, they'll be hearing from an attorney. The tone is loud enough to damage equipment.

7. cneo

cneo AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    Can't be sure you guys are talking about the same extremely loud screeching sound that I heard; not annoying, but shocking, nearly heart attack causing to me and all others in my two story home. Happened during a commercial (I think) while watching RedSox game on ESPN last night. I'm still suprised my speakers didn't completely blow, and in fact am still uncertain whether or not they've been damaged.

This is serious. Anyone have any info about this?

8. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    This was not something done to sell anything. It was clearly something that went wrong on Directv's end.

The sound wasn't as annoying as it was ear piercing. I relate it to the ringing sound that you hear if you have ever been too close to a loud burst of sound (like a gun shot). Only this was coming out of my speakers at what seemed to be 100+ decibels when the normal volume on everything else was at about 80.

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    The only thing I got from a CSR on my (only) call to them was a drone reading from a script and talking down to me like I was a four-year-old. She had NO clue what she was talking about. she was talking in generic terms about ad volume that had absolutely nothing to do with this problem.

(ETA)Props to Francesca, however. I called back today, and this time she gathered data from what happened to send on to the next level. I made sure to note that now there are multiple reports here of this problem.

10. seltech

seltech Legend

Feb 5, 2008
    I have also heard this on TBS HD during a commercial for some law firm. It was extremely loud prolly up in the 20khz range, ear piercing loud. Only noticed it when that particular commercial came up. Did it every time.

11. Laker44

Laker44 Godfather

Jun 18, 2008
    Was watching MLB HD Monday and heard this during an add around 2:30 pm.When the regular programming came back on the noise went away.

12. bfdheky

bfdheky AllStar

May 3, 2009
    I was watching Fox News this morning and it did it on a commercial that normally has voice. Sounded like the same tone you used to hear when the color bars showed on a channel that was off the air.

13. thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    I've been noticing this while watching FSN, and it's annoying.

Add this to the BRIIIIIIIIIIIIP, and the sound cutting out on XM channels, and I'm about to start getting compensated.