1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultra thin coaxial cable with push on connectors?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slice1900, Jul 29, 2013.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Anyone know of a source for very thin coaxial cable, with push on connectors rather than screw on? I'll spare you the details of why I'm looking for this. I want to buy the cable and and connectors and make my own since I need custom lengths (short jumpers)

I did a little googling and found "GE 23278" on amazon.com which is a 25 foot premade 3mm coaxial cable, and it appears it has push on connectors, but I'm just basing on that on the picture since it doesn't specify. If it is push on it would meet my needs, if I can buy the cable and connectors somewhere so I can make my own.

Solid Signal sells "razor cable" that sounds like it might be what I want cable-wise but the connectors are screw on and I need push on. Perhaps push on F connectors that would work with this cable are available elsewhere?

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You can get push on connectors that will attach to the screw on connectors that are already on the cable at Radio Shack

3. SolidSignal

SolidSignal Cool Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Yes, our Razor Thin cable would probably meet your needs but it uses compression connectors. We don't recommend screw on connectors for because it's too easy to damage the outer braid.

4. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Not sure if you are talking about connectors that "push on" to the mating connector (like the ones that come with cheap VCR's, etc), or that push on to the raw cable end.
    I think Solid Signal is talking about the ones that screw on to the shield of the raw cable....yes, they ruin the shield braid.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yes, I was talking about connectors that push on to the F81 connector on the other end, just like the cables that used to come with VCRs. Sorry for the confusion!

Bill - thanks for the pointer to the screw on to push on adapters, I didn't know such a thing existed so I didn't know to look for them. I found Summit Source has them for only 24 cents/ea. It will make the ends of the cable a bit lengthy, but presumably the thin coax is a lot more flexible so it shouldn't be a problem for me in the confined space I've got.

Is Solid Signal's razor cable the only option? There must be some other extra thin coaxes out there, though perhaps installing the connectors wouldn't be as simple - I would not be interested in anything that required soldering the connectors. Solid Signal only sells the razor cable in 1000 ft spools, which is way more than I need!

I guess if I don't find any other options I could buy some of their premade cables to get a smaller amount but that seems wasteful since I'm paying for their labor when I'm going to chop up the cable. Guess Solid Signal primarily deals with big customers - you can get a discount if you order 20 of the 1000' spools at once! :eek2:

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island