1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

UN-SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    While researching for a solution to my "771" problem on other sites, I found a few postings about returning to 4-wire from SWM.
    Only one posting give a reason for "UN-SWMING" and it had more to do with travel time then trying to fix the problem (SWM had 771, 4-wire did not).
    Does anyone have any idea why people are changing back to 4-wire?

SSTV
    since 94

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Desperation? More than likely I bet they had a faulty SWM LNB, splitter, or multiswitch.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Well, SWiM has a build in amplifier so that should give you a better signal than the legacy setup. I really can't think of any advantage a legacy setup would have over SWiM.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The only reason I could think of for the problem you posted would be because the SWiM had too much splitter/cabling loss.
    Had the system been installed correctly, SWiM would have had advantages over the non SWiM system, which mainly is the AGC gain as the signals fade at the dish.