1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to record Locals - am I alone?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JWKessler, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    I'm using a VIP722 with Over The Air Tuner and am in the Binghamton, NY DMA. We only get SD from the satellite here. The OTA tuner and outside antenna gives me just two locals, CBS and Fox, in HD.

The other night I tried to watch a show recorded from my local PBS station, WSKG, and found I only had a black screen. The DVR was acting odd after I tried to view that recording. For instance the stop button would not clear the black screen. I had to play another recording, stop that, then I could get back to my normal menus.

I assumed that was a one time fluke with that recording, but since then I've found every show I record from one of the three local channels I only get on the satellite (PBS, ABC and NBC) does that. Shows recorded from the OTA tuner record and play back normally and all other channels record normally.

Is anyone else seeing this and does anyone have an idea what might be going on here?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sounds like you have an intermittent signal.

May be cured with a better (not bigger) antenna setup. Looking at TVFool.com, it appears that you should be easily able to get at least four channels. I'd suggest running your address through TVFool and see what it comes up with.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Sounds like you are saying it's the satellite locals not recording.

First question, do have more than one receiver?
    My second question, when you just tune to them, are they ok, or is it only when you set up a timer.

4. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Correct, only satellite locals are effected.

Single receiver.

The channels are viewable in real time. In fact last night I caught one of the shows in the middle and it was playing normally and the DVR indicated it was recording, but when I tried to view the recorded version so I could watch from the beginning, all I got was black screen.

In my location I "should" get all the locals with an antenna, but I'm on the wrong side of a big hill. The two high-band VHF stations come in fine, but UHF stations don't even give me a wiggle on my TV's signal strength meter. I even bought a dedicated high gain UHF only antenna and got nothing.

5. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I had your problem happen one time when trying to record an OTA signal from my antenna instead of recording the Dish delivered signal as I had a conflict and had to record the OTA one.

I wrote it off at the time as probably the signal was dropped at the beginning and the DVR decided it couldn't record.

I wonder if you changed the start time a minute or two if that would make a difference.

What signal level do you get when you tune to the OTA channel and do you get occasional drops? I would also watch the offending channel starting a few minutes before the DVR is set to record to see if you see any anomalies occurring.

6. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Thanks for the input. If we get the channel with the antenna I never record the lousy quality version from the satellite. In fact I have those duplicates hidden. Why even see them in the guide if I never will use them?

We do get occasional drops in the OTA signal, but they are not common and have never caused trouble up till the last few days. The system has been functioning fine for a few years now with no changes.

I'll try some of your ideas.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If the same situation continues you will need to let Dish know. I have seen this happen twice in the past, though on a single channel each time. It was something on the Dish end that had to be fixed.

8. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Thanks for that. I'm trying to work with Dish now.