1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to record Setanta Sports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sabex, Apr 21, 2009.

1. sabex

sabex AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    Not sure if this belongs in DVR or programming forum...

I recently discovered that I am unable to record Setanta Sports - or playback which amounts to the same thing.
    Called DirecTV to be told that due to copyright issues I am unable to record this channel.
    Has anyone heard of this before?

2. bikspk

bikspk AllStar

Apr 16, 2007
    Yea, I just came home to watch the remainder of the Liverpool-Arsenal game and there is nothing there. I had to leave at halftime and pushed the record button. Now I have 59 minutes of black screen.

I've never had this issue before.

One of the main reasons I got Directv was for Setanta.

I didn't have any issues with it this weekend but this is concerning.

3. ejd

ejd AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    My Liverpool Arsenal game was a blank recording. I watched the replay live and had no trickplay.
    Also I can't record anything on FSC or GOL either. They just end up being blank recordings.

4. Joojooflop

Joojooflop New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Same here.
    I tried a few different channels looking for a pattern. I can record most that I tried. I cannot record FSC, Gol, or Setanta.

The easiest way to check if it is recording is to press the button that skips back a few seconds, or hit rewind -- it just freezes. Hold the 30-second skip button to go back to live.

5. Joojooflop

Joojooflop New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Called tech support. They said they're working on it and will push software when they have a fix. No ETA.

6. neil17

neil17 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    just spent a long time with a tech support guy who is escalating the problem. It is not just Setanta, it is also Fox on 619 and GolTV on 620 and 426. It also is only a problem on my HD-DVRs. My R15 SD-DVR is working fine with these channels so I don't think it is anything to do with a copyright block.

7. ejd

ejd AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    There are 2 games at 3:00 tomorrow Man U-Portsmouth and Chelsea-Everton.
    I hope they have this fixed by then.

8. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Same here. Tech support is aware - and escalating. The operative question is how long will it take to fix. None of these 3 is recording. The buffer isn't working on all 3.

Tech dude I spoke to said one workaround [maybe] would be to dump the season list for those 2 matches tomorrow, right now - then, put them back in, again, move them back to up their usual priority. It's a big maybe.

Being a retired old crank, I'll be here - able to flip back and forth; but, that's about it if they can't get the buffer/record problem fixed, overnight.

The guy I spoke to said I was the 4th person he'd personally escalated on this, today.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Checked this out on all three of my HD DVRs, same problem. Won't record, won't even pause/rewind "live" TV on those three channels only.

10. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Keep your fingers crossed, folks. Looks like they fixed it.

Probably was done by individual re-authorizing, I'll bet - because the blue eye was unchanged, this morning - no record of version change either.

But, I just tried all three channels and the buffer is working. Recorded a couple minutes of Rugby on Setanta and it played back, all right.

And here I was thinking that D* was being run by disgruntled Liverpool fans. :)

11. squeak49

squeak49 Cool Member

Oct 9, 2008
    This forum rocks -- exactly the info I was looking for. Glad it wasn't just me. :)

I ran into this yesterday, too, on all 4 of my DVRs. Was DYING to watch the Arsenal/Liverpool game (what a game, huh?!?!), only to find that I couldn't watch the recording I had of it. Fortunately, I caught the replay, but it was annoying not to be able to use the DVR functionality.

Glad it's (apparently) fixed, because with me not being a morning person, weekend matches being so early, and weekday matches being during the afternoon, this would have been a big, big problem for me. I would have been beyond irate if this happened during Arsenal/Villareal last week.

Thanks.

12. squeak49

squeak49 Cool Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Went home over lunch and was able to use rewind/ff on Setanta, so this is indeed fixed. Thanks to all!

13. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    I decided not to take any chances will be watching United live today via my slingbox.

Thanks for the update, Ed and squeak. Very helpful.

14. sabex

sabex AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I can confirm this is working for me again.!

am so happy its quite sad - lol