1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Unable to view 3D program on new 3D TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hobie346, Dec 23, 2011.

1. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I just upgraded my TV to a Samsung 8000 3D capable TV. I'm connected to an HR24-500 via a Denon 4308CI AVR.

When I attempted to watch a 3D channel the HR24 reported that TV was not 3D ready (or there about).

I don't have any 3D BD movies to test the TV with and connecting the TV directly to the HR24 is a problem (no easy access to the back side of the HR24.

Any ideas as to what I need to do to get this setup working?

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Wire HDMI direct from HR to the TV, bypass the Denon. Suggest trying that.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I don't believe that Denon is 3D capable, my 2809CI isnt either. I believe you have to have one of the xx11 or xx12 models for 3D capability through the Denon.

From Denon's website:

Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports

I believe that means no 3D through that Denon.

4. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    Very difficult to get access to the back side of the HR24 box.

5. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    That's what I was afraid of. Denon loves to advertise that they can upgrade all of their stuff (with a small fee) but I haven't seen anyone manage that feat. I'll try to see if there is any new software for the 4308 box but I got the feeling that is SOL.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    HDMI to TV and use a optical cable to AV for audio.

7. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    You dont need to access the back of the HR24. You would disconnect the HDMI at the Denon and connect that directly to the tv. Then run optical out from the tv to the Denon.

8. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    When I got my new LG 3D TV I had a problems getting the 3D DTV channels to show something (they were grayed out in the guide). Found that I didn't select 1080p on the 24. Once selected, the 3D channels good to go. Just a thought.

9. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I have 1080P selected and I do see the 3D channels just fine just not able to display 3D video due to the AVR not passing the 3D signals.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd be curious to know how many people with 3D TV's, after the initial "show friends how cool it is" period and "neatness factor" period passes continue to make an effort to look for and watch 3D material.

I had the same issue with my AVR and got a new Denon that did pass 3D (forgot which model, but it was the cheapest one). The novelty lasted about 2 weeks for me then I sold the 2 extra pair of glasses that came with the TV. I didn't get the TV for 3D but because it was a top rated HD-TV and just happened to have 3D capability.

It kind of reminded me of when "hi-fi stereo" first came out (yes, I am that old) and we'd sit in front of the 2 speakers listening to ping-pong balls going back and forth or a train going across the living room. :lol:

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    TBlazer07, did you get one of the new tvs and the active shutter glasses? I would agree with your reasoning if it was just passive, but the new Panny plasma's using the active glasses are amazing, plus I'm a gamer and I demoed Gran Turismo 5 in 3D, to me its a no-brainer. But if you're not a gamer, then I could see where you might not use it that often.

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I wouldn't do that as your audio will probably suffer.

HR24 to TV via HDMI.
    HR24 to Denon via optical.

We've had 3D for over a year. There's a couple of 3D kids shows that my kids watch several times per week. We also watch a couple of 3D movies per month.

13. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I got my 3D TV mainly for the internet cap and 4 HDMI inputs. Had a 42" Panny Plasma for 6 years and got tired of the PQ. The grandkids really like the 3D (I'm 71 and kinda like it). Been with DTV since around 95' when I bought (from RatShack)and installed my first dish.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I watch a lot of 3D movies.

15. ktm250

ktm250 AllStar

May 22, 2010
    Is your 8000 a plasma or LCD? If its a plasma watch out for the brightness pops. As far as 3d goes it is a waste, IMO.

16. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Have one of the 55 inch LG passive 3d's, 14 pairs of glasses. every movie that we get for the kids and ourselves if there is a 3d verzion out we purchase it. When the kids ply on the xbox, the ps3 or wii the majority of the time that have the tv in 2d -> 3d conversion mode. have had the set since it was originally released early in the year.

Been very impressed with the way LG handles everything, the passive is great - extra pairs of glasses can be had at the movie theatres and they have regulalry upgrade the system software in it.

17. JimW88@hotmail.com

JimW88@hotmail.com New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I had the exact same problem with my Samsung 8000 series TV and Onkyo tx-nr807 receiver. The Onkyo supports hdmi 1.3 and you need 1.4 for 3d. I was told by a Crutchfield support tech that upgrading to 1.4 from 1.3 is not possible through firmware. Hdmi 1.4 has different electronics.

The best solution for me was to hook up the HDMI directly from my blu-ray and DirecTV DVR to the TV and connect the optical outputs to the receiver.

With this TV there are a couple of other options, depending on your receiver and requirements. If your receiver supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) then connect the receiver HDMI to the HDMI 2 port on the tv which supports ARC. If you don't need 5.1 but will be satisfied with stereo then connect the optical output from the tv to the receiver. The manual states on page 13 that "When the source is a digital component such as a DVD player / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and you connected it to the TV via HDMI you will only hear 2 CH audio from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater."

Hope this helps.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yea, active, VT25. I watched a basketball game in 3D. It was real "neat" for the first 15 minutes. Players looked like gumby's when they ran down the court. They were in 3D but their bodies looked like cardboard cutouts. The only thing that gave me a chuckle was the announcers looked like they were sitting in my lap. I could easily do without it (just like 3D movies in the theater) as it added absolutely nothing for me other then the "gimmick" of it.

Kids are long gone. Grandkids found it boring and didn't care (which was why I sold the extra glasses I got with it).

I don't. :) I did enjoy Avatar 3D in the theater (that was one of 3 3D movies I have seen in the theater and the only one that was "good")) but on the TV, bleh. Without the humonguous screen it was just another movie.

My OPINION is that it doesn't add much other than that 3D gimmick which I only see as a gimmick. Having someone on the screen puke in your lap or have a ball fly out at you is just a gimmick. I guess what it does do is take some really crappy movies and draw in a few more kids to pay for a ticket. Movie critics seem to agree although HUGO 3D has gotten some pretty good reviews as did Avatar. That's about the only 2 I can remember as most of the 3D are kiddie movies and slasher films.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    There's some really good "documentary" 3D movies. Some have good info and most others have stunning 3D filming.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'll wager there's a less than 50% chance that that will work. Many TVs don't pass digital surround from HDMI (or optical or coaxial digital) inputs.