1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"unapproved" network connection works

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rsblaski, May 19, 2010.

1. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Variation on a theme:

For internet connection:
    Instead of connecting the DECA module to the switch, my installer connected from the DECA module to the HR-22 (both coax and ethernet port 1). He then ran an ethernet cable from port 2 of the HR22 to the switch. I questioned this but he said it would work, and IT DOES!!
    This eliminated the need for yet another dongle and power inserter behind the a/v cabinet.

I will post this as a separate thread for others' information.

2. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    You don't want to do this! And an installer had absolutely no business doing it.

The HR22 isn't an Ethernet switch, and reportedly traffic across the Ethernet ports will affect the DVR performance. While it will function, it's definitely not a good idea. :eek2:

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is BAD! This is not the proper way to connect the HR22 and while it may work a lot of the time, you will find weird things happen from time to time. If you forget that it's connected in this way you may even think the problem is something else when in reality it's exactly this configuration that you have running.

My recommendation is to NEVER use the receiver as a bridge between two networks. The results are indeterminate and often problematic.

The installer should have left an additional DECA to connect you to the Internet. He should have never set it up the way he did.

4. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007

We tested this in the original DECA trial and it worked.

But......

If I remember right, this was frowned upon by Directv because it put too much of a strain on the internal switch of the receiver.

Maybe Tom R will chime in on this, because he relayed the info to us originally.

Edit: Doug beat me too it.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's not just that .. I can promise you that at times, the network truly gets confused by this type of connection. It may be infrequent, but when it does happens, all sorts of weird things happen across the entire network (not just @ this STB). Will it destroy anything? probably not, but it will certainly make for an unhappy situation. Couple that with forgetting about this rogue connection and the "time to fix" just get's higher.

Again, this is the type of connection that should be avoided because of the potential for problems and the simplicity by which it is to do it the right way. This is a shortcut that could be bad news.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I will tell you this has completely locked up my router many times.
    Don't do this, from someone who has and knows why not to.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Why did they put that stupid second port then? I have used it as a switch in a pinch but it just sucked...

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I don't think it's a problem for low end solutions. It's just not good for this application.

9. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. I've seen the same thing.

10. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I am in one of the test markets and my installer left all my HR's connected this way. I didn't discover the problem until my HR24 told me about it on the info screen. I disconnected them all except one and it seems to work fine. How do I go about getting another adapter and PI?

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd call DirecTV since you've "just" [within 90 days] had your install.

12. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Called D* this morning and they have set up a "priority" service call to correct the installation.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know, why is there a USB port on the front? Why do men have nipples?

Seriously, though, there are some design decisions which are made for reasons that we end users will never know.

14. morphius2036

morphius2036 New Member

May 16, 2008
    OK I am somewhat confused on the method of connection. I see all the drawings for how to connect by coax from the SWiM switch then with power to band-stop then a series of splitters to the DECA's in each room. Does this mean you have to daisy chain the boxes instead of all taping from the SWiM switch? Also I have a powered outlet connected to my HD DVR HR23-700, which is connected to a switch to the INTERNET, for the initial SWiM device. I want to get the least amount of equipment off-line and still have this work. I have three boxes but only two are the compatible, I don't care if the third works.

The reason I ask is because I already have 3/4's of the stuff needed for this but I have to pay a ridiculous amount to get this done professionally.

15. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    If you have to ask, you should be letting D* do it (especially once they've figured it out). ;)

SWM boxes are connected just like they were before. If your receivers are all Ethernet connected, you don't need DECA (or SWM) at all for MRV. However it's connected you must have at least an HD DVR and a HD receiver for it to be enabled.

The complexities arise when you want boxes connected that don't have Ethernet connections, and you want to use DECA (which works really well). For that, you need SWM, a DECA adapter for the receiver, A DECA adapter and power supply for a bridge between DECA and Ethernet, (probably) a Band Stop filter between your SWM and the first splitter, and a Band Stop filter for every SWM receiver that doesn't have a DECA on it (or support DECA natively... i.e., Hx24).

When you start adding up the costs, the D* upgrade cost looks pretty good.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you go by the cable companies manual, "future expansion" that never actually arrives. Seems like the HR20-100 had it right, just not far enough. Instead of it not working, it should have been left out.

17. Monty23

Monty23 Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Well they connected mine just like that yesterday to my HR23 and when viewing most stuff that was recorded on the HR23 you get pixelation and stuttering. Also, one of my printers on my network lost its connection right after that. I'm going to have them connect it up correctly with another DECA to my router.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. get them to fix this because your receiver should NOT be used as a bridge. These are some of the problems that will arise from it.