1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding HDTV Resolution

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Av8r, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I tried searching because I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can't find a good explanation. Can someone explain how to get the best resolution from the various channels on D*, or point me to a thread where this has been discussed?

I have a Mitsubishi DLP and I know to press the format button on the remote, but it always just shows "1080i stretch". If I keep pressing it, the words change but the resolution does not.

I've gone into settings and checked all the boxes under HDTV, and I currently have "Native" set to "Off". At times I'm very happy with the resolution and at others I'm not. Changing the TV to "3D" doesn't help either. Of course I switch it back when I'm done watching 3D content, but I often lose nice sharp resolution for awhile until I play around with various settings. I still have not figured out exactly what helps and what doesn't.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Native ON, Original Format will give you the signal that is being sent with no processing by the DirecTv box, from there it is up to your TV.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Format" and resolution aren't the same thing.
    Since you have the receiver set to a 16:9 TV, when tuned to any HD channel, the format doesn't do anything, since it only functions on SD channels.
    As posted ^^, if you have native turned on, then your TV will scale whatever it is being sent to fit the size of your TV screen. This is how I have one of mine set, while the other is only a 720 screen, so I have only 720 checked and have native off, and let the receiver scale everything to what the TV screen size it.
    With HD, there is little difference between the receiver and the TV doing the scaling.
    With my Sony XBR, I can tell the difference with SD and why I use native so the TV scaler is doing the scaling instead of the receiver.

4. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Ok, thanks. I set the TV to Native "On" and the PQ is much better. I didn't realize that the "format " button only worked in SD.

Is there any way to see what resolutions are used on the channel I'm on?

5. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    Usually the TV will display the screen format especially when it switches from 720 to 1080 or the other way around.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Your TV should have an info or display button that shows it. The DirecTv box wont, except with the lights on the front panel, but in most cases, sports channels (except NBC, CBS, and a few like NLF Network), Disney, and ABC owned networks, are 720p. Most the rest are 1080i.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, with Native On if you are tuned to ESPN or ABC the 720P Resolution will be Passed thru to your TV without your TV having to do any Scaling. It just accepts in signal input and displays it.

If you have Native On Selected and your channel displays 1080I then your DVR will pass that signal directly to your TV and it will display 1080I.

That is the way I have mine displayed so the TV doesn't have to spend time Scaling the signal to whatever you have selected.

8. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The first press of the format button just displays the curent mode. So if you have native on, pressing format will show what the channel resolution is.

9. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    So if I read all the suggestions correctly My Directv HD receiver should have native mode turn "OFF." Thus the format issue is being handle by the HD TV.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You can experiment, but Ive found these settings to provide the best overall picture:

Your TV is a 720p native resolution = Native OFF, lock the DirecTv box on 720p/Original
    Your TV is a 1080p native resolution = Native ON, Format to Original (for SD programs)

Most sets over 32" are 1080 native panels, but check your sets spec sheet.

In BOTH cases, unless you are using an external processor, you want to UNCHECK 480i and 480p in the resolution list on the Directv receiver so it will output an upconverted HD signal to your TV, as most TVs dont automatically upconvert SD material and usually look like crap displaying it. Native ON might override that, I havent checked, since I use an external processor, but it cant hurt to try it.

11. Av8r

Av8r New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Some good info here. Thanks.

My TV is 1080p, and I hardly ever watch sd channels. I'll try unchecking the 480i and 480p boxes. They've been checked since I got D* a few weeks ago.

I just moved over from Charter cable and am delighted so far except for a few mistakes on my part that I'd hoped D* would credit. They seem very strict with their billing.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you find yourself or others accidentally ordering PPV, set your parental limits to $0, and lock it with a password. You can override with the password to buy one, but it will prevent accidental purchases. In most other cases, DirecTv is pretty forgiving if you explain your situation to them. PPV credits on the other hand, and hard to get.

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Also, your TV should have an INFO button and if you Press that button it will display you TVs Resolution along with additional information you will find useful.

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    True, but I have no idea where my TV remote is! :(

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    look under the cushions on the couch. :lol:

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Actually if you uncheck both the 480i and p option in the receiver resolution menu you will have to leave your format setting on "Pillar Box" display. Otherwise whenever you view an SD channel it will default to stretch-o-vision on the "Original" format setting.

Huh? :confused: All HDTV flat panel displays will automatically up-convert SD input signals to the native display resolution of the set. Either 720P@60 fps or 1080P@60 fps or higher combinations of either of these.

Though some perform it better than others, so YMMV... :)

17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Keep in mind that "Native On" can cause slower channel changes (depending on your TV and whatever else you may have been the HR2* and the TV)

18. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I like Native Off. I don't like the slow channels changes and the screen resetting itself (kind of like a degaaussing effect) when the format changes. I have a 3.5 year old 1080p Samsung DLP. While I have the HR20 set up so it knows that the TV is capable of 1080i or 720p, I leave the DVR set to the 1080i pillar box mode 99.9999% of the time. (I'm also an aspect ratio snob). That way, the DVR does all the scaling and the TV is simply fed a 1080i signal from the DVR. Only if I am doing OTA through the antenna directly to the TV does the TV do the scaling (which is does a good job of).