1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Universal Sports in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jkirk, Jun 27, 2013.

1. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    With the Olympics coming up, does anyone know if DTV will ever turn on USN in HD??

Thanks in advance..

jk

2. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I have been hoping for Universal Sports in HD ever since it was launched. No one knows when it will be on DirecTV until either it shows up on the Sixto report or one party releases a press release. So far, neither of those have happened. I agree that with the Olympic trials (but Olympic games themselves will not be on Universal Sports), the English Premiere League, and all of the cycling events that are on Universal Sports, it should be in HD.

3. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    With my location in the designated market area of Detroit, Michigan, I have the following area providers for cable-television programming:

DirecTV (national)
    Dish Network (national)
    AT&T U-verse (national)
    Comcast (franchised)
    Wide Open West (franchised)

None of these providers carry Universal Sports HD.

Is this a major f*** up from Comcast/NBC Universal? (It shouldn't be that difficult.)

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    What Olympics?

1 person likes this.
  5. RandyOH

RandyOH New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    they are going to put some Premier League games on Universal Sports? I hope they aren't any games of much interest, if the channel isn't going to be in HD.

6. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Where I live, Comcast doesn't carry Universal Sports at all (SD or HD). They used to when it was an NBC sub-channel, but when the OTA feed was discontinued, so was the feed on Comcast.

We subscribe to both Comcast and DirecTV, and we have to rely on DirecTV for a Comcast-owned channel. Go figure.

7. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    winter olympics next february

8. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It is only speculation. All we know for sure is that all of the Premier League games will be on one of the NBC owned station, and Universal Sports is an NBC owned station. So far, there have been no schedules published of which games will be on which channels.

Universal Sports HD launched in June of 2012, but so far, it is only available on one or two small cable companies. None of the major carriers have it yet, but it is not correct to say that the channel is not in HD - it is just not in HD on DirecTV, Dish, UVerse, Comcast, TWC, . . .

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The same thing seems to be true with chiller (owned by NBC as well) available in HD on one or two small cable companies

10. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    In all of NBCU's press releases and press conferences regarding the EPL, there has been no mention of Universal Sports carrying any games.

I originally thought they would carry some, just to get more cable / sat companies to carry the HD signal.

As it turns out, NBCU is only a minority owner of the channel, the majority of shares belonging to InterMedia Partners, a private equity investment firm.

Having said all that, I still want the HD version asap.