1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

universal uhf/ir remotes & TV2 HDTV question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lbinetti, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbinetti

lbinetti New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a 921, and i am trying to figure out a way to consolidate my remote controllers i am using for tv2. In this room i have a Panasonic HDTV monitor, and I have a Samsung combination dvd/reciever. The Samsung unit can not be controlled with the tv2 uhfpro remote. I have tried all the Samsung codes for vcr, receiver and dvd, and have also performed a code search for those devices as well as the aux codes.

First i thought that i could use a harmony remote, and just use an ir extender and send an ir signal for tv2 to the 921. But then i read that TV2 must be a uhf signal.

Soo...does anyone know of a universal remote control, or a learning remote control that has both an ir and a uhf signal.

Additionally.....using an hdtv for my tv2 seems silly, but i only have two sets in my house. Does anyone know of a way to get an hdtv signal out to tv2? Will the 622 that i will be receiving in a few weeks have a way to use two hdtv outputs? ( I could easily wire color composite video the hundred or so feet to the second hd receiver...so an hdmi or dvi based solution might not be as feasiable.)

2. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    Moved to general dish forum, not 942 specific.

To answer your question, no there is not a UHF universal remote. The 921 does not have tv2, I take it you are asking about the 622 you are getting?

3. dlhuse

dlhuse Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    From what I can gather from the manual, no you only get 1 HD output with the 622. The second output is SD. :(

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Not really acurate, two HD outputs (component and HDMI), but is tv1 signal if used in dual or single user modes.

5. lbinetti

lbinetti New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    HEY WAIT....i screwed up
    i am talking about the 942....i screwed up and said 921 in my post.
    So now that we have that clarified.....is there a way to solve my remote control blunders using the 942 or the 622 that i will be getting soon?

i was thinking that if i had to switch to a dual-view setup so i could use hdtv for both sets, i could install an ir extender and use a universal ir remote to control tv1 from my bedroom.

but then the question is how do i run composite and audio over 100 feet? Could i use cat-8 and then splice in rca ends? or would there be so much signal loss over the cat-8 that i would be better off using the coax solution i have already implemented?

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The 622 does have two HD outputs (HDMI and Component) you can split the components and run wires (I do not know if 100 ft is possible). Also, the 622 comes with two remotes, and if in single user mode tv2 remote will work the HD output.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.