1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual installation problem, questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by aeroair, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1 of 16
    aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Hi folks - I ordered an HD upgrade from our 7-8 year old SD D* setup and had the installer leave unable to do anything for us. I knew this would be difficult but figured the 'pro' would have some tricks up his sleeve. He had a suggestion, no tricks.

Here's the situation: We have a two receiver setup between two buildings that are joined by a roofed breezeway (it's considered one building legally, with shared utilities). The design of the structure is not typical in that the main building is two levels, and the interior is open from floor to the ceiling of the 2nd level with a loft. The living/family room area has the entertainment center on an interior wall that supports a loft area - with no reasonable way to drop anything from the actual attic to the TV.

The dish is located a few feet behind the main building, on a heavy 2.25" pole. We're using a dual-output LNB fed with twin RG6 cable, buried and run along the outside of the house to a junction box where the original CATV RG59 house-feed is. One leg of the twin RG6 feeds that original RG59 which, after removing the splitter in the attic essentially feeds directly to the single D* receiver in that house.

The 2nd building also has buried, twin RG6 running from an exterior wall to the same junction box, the run is about 50'. The existence of the twin RG6 in this receiver location is sort of an accident, but it makes the install of a new D* DVR/HD receiver a little easier.

Back to the problem: there is no easy way to run two RG6 lines to that first main receiver location. There is no way to drop anything from above, there's no basement or crawl-space, the receiver location is on an interior wall with a room behind it, and the most direct path to the exterior wall has a doorway in it.

If we had RG6 in the walls this wouldn't be a big issue I guess, but that isn't an option.

A couple of questions: First, obviously, any ideas? It was suggested that we have an electrician try to bring twin RG6 from outside through the exterior wall, then through the studs over top of the doorway, then drop it inside the wall to behind the TV. I'm sure that anything is possible, but has anyone had any experience doing that?

Second - I'm thinking a single RG6 line would be easier to pull through that wall than a double (assuming we can bore through the exterior wall and studs to get to the right location in the first place), then use a SWMLine setup with the PI at the main receiver location. Is it worth going to the trouble of trying to set up a SWMLine system just to make this single wire pull easier (if we can't pull two wires there isn't any alternative anyway, but I thought I'd ask...we can always drop the DVR option and use a single RG6, worst-case scenario).

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

2. Oct 4, 2008 #2 of 16
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    So you have one coax cable to the entertainment center now, right? Sounds like your best bet would be a SWMLine dish.

3. Oct 4, 2008 #3 of 16
    gen2rx7

gen2rx7 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    If your room is carpeted you can bring the new dual RG6 cables into the room on the exterior wall, run the cable under the baseboard, and fish the cable under the carpet infront of the doorway, then run under the baseboard again to the TV.

This is simple if you have carpet. It will be nice and neat. Just watch out for the tack strips around the door.

4. Oct 4, 2008 #4 of 16
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If I recall correctly, the SWMLine dish, or SWM unit can work with the existing RG59 cable.

5. Oct 4, 2008 #5 of 16
    gen2rx7

gen2rx7 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    Using RG59 is not Directv approved for SWM or any HD install with the KA/KU signals. But I have used RG59 on a couple SWM jobs but I never use a RG59 run to an HD reciever. I did that once and got into serching for sat, went back to the job 5 times. Once i replaced the line with RG6, all the problems went away

6. Oct 4, 2008 #6 of 16
    aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    It is carpeted, but that too presents an aesthetic problem. The carpet is a really low-profile berber, anything under it looks like a massive bulge (I've tried something like this in the past). On top of that the doorway is always open and is a relatively high-traffic area. The installer mentioned it as a possibility too, but also said it really wouldn't look all that great.

I thought about trying it too just for the heck of it, but the RG59 run goes from one side of the house all the way to the attic on the other extreme end of the house where it originally joined a splitter (now spliced), then runs halfway back through the house to the entertainment center. I'm sure that would be a beyond-marginal situation.

7. Oct 4, 2008 #7 of 16
    aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yup, but the coax is a ton of RG59 that snakes all over the house before it gets to the TV. If it was RG6 none of this would be much of an issue.

8. Oct 4, 2008 #8 of 16
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    buy a dish on ebay for second area and install it yourself using the first as a template.

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 16
    aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I appreciate the suggestion (frankly I'd rather do it myself anyway), but the dish isn't really the problem.

Getting an in-wall run seems to be a bigger headache than it's worth. I may try an SWM solution, with a single white RG6 run around the back of the door-frame. I don't think that will be very noticeable. If D* won't chip in with a new SWM-LNB and PI I'll eBay those and be done with it. That would solve a lot of problems, and if I get that single cable run myself the "free" installation guys can do the rest without really having to do much of anything but drop the equipment off.

We'll see.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I thought the rec in question was on the far "house" and the length was the issue, misread it :(

11. ironwood

ironwood Icon

Sep 20, 2007
    One option I use quite often in this situation is running cable (from the ceiling in the closet, or from outside) in the room behind your interior wall with TV. Then just bring cable behind your wall unit. Trick is that your living room is where you want it nice and pretty, no cables showing. Room behind it oftentimes is just an office or some bedroom with bunch of furniture where you dont mind cable run along the boards. Hope this helps.

12. aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    That's exactly what we're thinking. The problem is there is just no place (ok, no convenient place) to do a drop in that room. The floor above it is "open" sort of like a loft, with no access to an attic, even in the closet.

Aesthetically a twin-RG6 run from the exterior wall into that room behind the entertainment center, would still look pretty hideous (albeit hidden on the important side of the wall) - mostly just because of the doorway.

I think I may opt for a SWMLine dish and run a single line around that door-frame though. I've found some self-stick cable channeling that will go around the door-frame and actually blends in pretty well. Whether the run is going to be too long for the PI is another issue, but I think it'll work out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    theres a post here dealing with flat cables, would those make it easier to deal with?

14. aeroair

aeroair New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I think the flat cables are relatively short for passing through windows, aren't they? On the order of 12" max I think.

In the grand scheme of things I think going around the door isn't going to be that big of a problem, I just have to get off my butt and do it :)

15. ironwood

ironwood Icon

Sep 20, 2007
    When you go around the door make sure nothing pinches the cable and there are no sharp bends. Personally I dont like going around or under the doors, potential problems or looks bad. If you drop cable in the corner of the other room you can use dual cable and then cover it nicely with a color-matches plastic cover (example: cableorganizer.com)

As to flat cable I dont recommend it especially for HD.

16. Brian_83

Brian_83 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    I think you would be fine. I believe my house was pre-wired with RG59 and my HD receivers all work fine from my multi-switch in the attic to the jacks anywhere in the house.