1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwanted Phantom Commands to HR-20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JKO, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JKO

JKO New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I am having a problem with my HR-20-700 that I cannot find anywhere in my forum searches.

I experience occasional channel changes, rewinds, fast forwards, menu displays, etc. even though the remote control is sitting on the coffee table untouched. For example, I am watching channel 206, and the channel banner suddenly pops up, followed by entry of a "7", then another "7" and then channel 77 comes on. This is just an example-there seems to be no repetitive pattern. Its as if A GHOST IS OPERATING THE REMOTE!:eek2:

I use an Universal MX-850 remote control in RF mode to operate the HR20-70. I do not know whether the problem is with the remote control system or the DVR.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions to solve this problem?

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    oh wow... that's cool... lol... how often does it happen? i would try switching to IR mode... that way... you could place the remote in another room... and that would tell you which is causing it...

3. Jaysv

Jaysv AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    How close are you to your neighbor and do they have a RF remote as well? is there another RF remote in the house?

4. HD 4 ME

HD 4 ME Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Call an exorcist ....Just to be on the safe side....!devil12: :lol:

5. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Anything else in the house using RF? Security systems, Poltergeists etc?

6. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I know when cable came to my neighborhood in the early 80's, all the equipment like the remotes are on the same frequency or IR channel. So kids would go around the neighborhood "cable clicking" by changing the neighbors boxes, turning them on and off, changing channels, ordering PPV, how cruel. :hurah:

7. tomdawg

tomdawg Cool Member

Sep 29, 2007
    First thought would be that another RF source (such as a cordless telephone or garage door opener, or even neighbor's DTV remote) is being received by the receiver, but I think that's unlikely because the RF remote is keyed to the receiver ID. The receiver should only respond to RF signals with the proper ID as part of the command. Are you sure there is not a second remote somewhere in the house? I don't think a neighbor's remote would do it because it would not be keyed to your receiver.

I would first try switching the receiver and remote to use IR instead of RF. That should make the problem go away. If not it would really be weird. Of course you probably need RF or you wouldn't be using it but checking out IR would help in diagnosing the problem.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The OP's receiver is set to IR, since the remote in use is universal mx-850. If the URC RF basestation ID is set to zero, then it will pick up the commands from not only every URC RF universal remote but many IR extenders signals as well.

9. JKO

JKO New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I think Edmond nailed it. He's right, the receiver is set to IR (its the base station that receives the RF signals from the DVR's IR sensor, so the DVR is already set to IR).

Sure enough, the base station ID is set to zero. I think I am getting close to solving this mystery (Edmund is a Ghostbuster!)

10. raw121

raw121 AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    A couple of weekends ago the bulb burnt out in my TV so I brought the 19" lcd into the family room. After a while I started to have the display pop on the tv and sometimes it would try to change the channel and others it would mute the set. After about an hour of this I started search for any remote that may have been getting pressed accidentally, but they were all accounted for. So another hour went by before I got the brilliant idea that my camcorder has a night shot mode and could probably determine the source of the ir signal. I dug out the camera and within 5 minutes I found that the IR port on my laptop was sending out pulses. I couldn't find any reason why it was so I just disabled the port.

So if you have a device that has night shot capabilities you can try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.