1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upcoming CBS Negotiations and NFL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjoe, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bjoe

bjoe Cool Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Just curious,

With the announced upcoming negotiations with CBS corp:

DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. (CBS) is up for renewal in the fall, according to a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...iddleHeadlines

Outside of the obvious impact on blackout of CBS o&o stations, since we are talking fall and prime NFL season, how would NFL ST subs be impacted? Say your local o&o CBS station in is taken off the air, would they still offer the CBS games on NFL ST? would you be screwed by the local station blackout rule? For example: say KTVT in dallas is taken out - if they still had the CBS feed on NFL ST, would the local game been shown on KTVT be blacked out?

2. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    It would not be available on Sunday Ticket in the Dallas-Fort Worth market.

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    You won't be able to watch the game on ST if they don't reach an agreement. I wouldn't worry too much. They will most likely reach an agreeing and you won't have to worry about anything. Don't worry about it now.

4. bjoe

bjoe Cool Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Unfortunately, that's what I'm afraid of. Would D* NFL ST have ANY of the CBS NFL games on the package in the event of a CBS carriage dispute?

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Yes. The DirecTV contract is with the NFL, not the networks. This came into play when ABC has had dual games that were on at the same time because of makeups (hurricane, forest fires) and they were on as well. While that was a previous contract, the base has not changed. It is still with the NFL not with CBS and Fox.

The effect would be CBS owned and operated, CBS Sports Channel and (maybe) Showtime (but probably not).

CBS is *not* Viacom. They have some sense of decorum plus they do not want that many viewers off their network.

Most of the local disputes are with companies like Sinclair and others who just want to flex their muscle.

In fact, I would bet the NFL would put pressure on CBS if they took games off in New York, Philly and the other large cities they own the local stations during football season.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I would not be surprised if a future NFL contract with the big networks requires that the games be broadcast despite carriage disputes.

7. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Yes. Keep in mind there was a time when there were no locals available on Directv. That has no bearing on NFL Sunday Ticket beyond the ability to watch your games on your local affiliate. This really wasn't an issue at all when analog was available but digital is hit or miss, at least with me which really sucks. I'd much rather see TV with a little snow than constant signal hiccups.,

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You mean local games? I doubt that. That would uncut their network partners. Especially when the network partner owns the local stations in dispute.

9. Aug 1, 2012 #9 of 10
    mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I would guess that the only games you'd lose would be your local market games, since the contract is with the NFL... Ii doubt the nfl would allow the ST games to be bumped.

Too much mony in play, and I don't think the CBS folk are as hot-headed as Viacom, either.

10. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    The CBS negotiations will be patterned after the FOX agreement. Directv will want access to network programming even if an affiliate is being difficult in retransmission. The "stick" was a huge nugget to gain for Directv in the FOX deal to put pressure on affiliates to yield.