1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Update: Fox Loses Latest Effort To Block Dish Network’s Hopper Ad-Zapping DVR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: Fox Loses Latest Effort To Block Dish Network’s Hopper Ad-Zapping DVR

21st Century Fox had hoped to persuade a federal appeals court in LA to overturn a decision that allowed Dish Network to keep selling its Hopper DVR while the companies battle over Fox’ claim that it infringes on its copyrights and breaches contracts. But the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Fox didn’t show that it was likely to win its case against the Hopper, which can automatically jump past commercials on recorded broadcast network shows — undermining the value of the ads.

Fox says that it is “disappointed in the court’s ruling, even though the bar to secure a preliminary injunction is very high.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not a DISH fan but I have to agree. There are ways to skip over them already and this just enhances that. If this was really a problem, DISH should have a problem with being able to skip the commercials by any means which is one of the big selling points of a DVR to begin with.

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2002
  4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    It is hard to cry for Fox.

5. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    This is why Directv keeps 30skip so secret. Most users don't know it exists.
    Call directv about it and they play dumb. They don't want to get sued.
    They don't have as many lawyers as Dish Network. Skipping commercials is
    a wonderful thing. Hop on over here for fresh kangaroo food. :evilgrin:

6. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I hope Dish winds this one, if Fox wins it, then It opens the door for no more skipping/slipping for all DVRs

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Since 30skip isn't supported they don't train anyone on it. Ad I know several people who prefer slip over skip. That's a head scratcher.

The lawyer things is funny,but I doubt it's true. I sure they both ave to many lawyers. :). Dish just like to spend money fighting lawsuits rather than on other things.

I'll believe this will stick when they all give up the appeals.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Dish losing this one would not stop the current skipping and ffwd we have now, no way. They are totally different things.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The suit is over the automated technology ... but it is an extension of the regular "lets skip commercials" feature that has been in DVRs for many years. Fox would need to put forward a new case and explain why they had not claimed infringement for the past 15-20 years. An unlikely development.

The Hopper allows commercials to be skipped at the customer's request per program per playback with the request made at the beginning of each playback. (Stop playback and one will be asked again if one wants to AutoHop.)

Without the AutoHop commercials may be skipped at the customer's request per 30 second segment with the request made live at the time the customer wishes to skip said 30 seconds. If one knows the length of the break one can press the 30 second button several times and skip that many minutes. Since only a few hours per evening on four channels are enabled through AutoHop the "old school" 30 second skip is still used on the Hopper.

10. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    It sounded like their claim was that the commercials were being skipped and that was some kind of infringement. From what I read the court just wasn't going for it since the commercials were being recorded as well but just being skipped. I don't know what makes FOX think people are not just skipping their commercials now. I use the 30 second skip with my Genie for all shows I watch. I hardly watch any shows live just for the commercial skipping capability.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The phrase I recall was that the broadcasts were being "altered" and hence against the ToS's. But same net effect.

12. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Can't wait for the next contract negotiation with Fox. You want Auto-Hop then you must pay $X more. Any bets on how long the channels go dark?

1 person likes this.
  13. cmyers

cmyers New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    New York
    They are in talks with Fox now over Fox Sports 1 and FXX.

14. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think some folks like to see what commercials they're skipping, in case they miss one they actually do want to watch.

Now that the court upheld Dish's right to auto-hop, maybe DIRECTV can consider implementing one of our old "Wish List" requests, which actually is a riff on slip vs, skip:

"Up to FFX3, automatically switch to PLAY at the end of a commercial block."

You get to watch the commercials whiz by, but you don't have to worry about when to hit the PLAY button.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That'd be sweet, but then how about those of us who like to see how well they can do when hitting Stop! Oh, wait, that'd still be available. :)

16. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought the same thing. Winning in this instance may not be worth it but I guess that is Dish's issue to deal with. Probably a good reason DirecTV avoided the issue all this time. I remember during the Daytona race in Feb. FOX skipped the primary sponsor of the Dish Network car on purpose due to their on going litigation. I thought it was immature myself. Apparently the local broadcasters do not play nice when they dont get their way. Another sign that they are to big for their own pants.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What I have said all along is... Dish should win this in court, but we will all lose in the end... because Dish winning means the affected networks will be asking for more money next time around to offset what they will get less of from sponsors who know people are using autohop vs manually skipping.

Manually skipping means you might be lazy and might watch... networks can sell that to sponsors... but having one button that does all the work for you? Networks can't sell to sponsors that people will not push that button.

18. jeepsandjets

jeepsandjets New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the networks have some blame in this.... I am old enough to remember when you did not have to sit through 4 or 5 blocks of 4 - 8 30 sec commercials in a 1 hr show. What makes it worse is all the repeats, talk about boring.. Why not skip them. I'm sure we all seen them before. So people hire some better writers some commercials could actually be entertaining to watch.............. problem solved.