1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating Software w/o a Phone Line

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by ShooHorn0Plenty, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    ShooHorn0Plenty

ShooHorn0Plenty New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    is there any way to update the software without being connected to a phone line?

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 10
    Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Software updates come over the sat. However, Dish will charge $5/month if you don't have your receiver connected to the phone.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 10
    whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The S/W is updated via satellite not thru the phone line.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And is done at the decision of E* ... no way to force it or prevent it.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26 Legend

Jul 27, 2007
  6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 10
    tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    Above posts are correct. There are also RUMORS floating around that Dish is going to enable the ethernet ports on the 622 soon so that what WAS updated via the phone line can be updated over an internet connection. In theory, this would eliminate the need for your phone line, but software downloads would still come off the sats. It's also unknown (to the public as far as I've heard) as to whether there will be a fee for use of the internet (as opposed to phone).

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 10
    DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Does dish have to charge for EVERY little cool feature they incorporate into their hardware?

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 10
    TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince AllStar

May 10, 2007
    Internet
    must be a cost savings over maintaining banks of aging modems just to accept calls from receivers. Then again this could be like that $3.00US 'convienence fee' my gas company tried to get for electronic payments. Cost to process a cheque must be far higher but everything new seems to mean that companies must try to get a premium for it. That gas company got shafted by a flood of cheques they had not counted on and recinded the fee within a few months.

If there is a fee it probably won't compare to the land line cost anyway. See ya, Vonage...

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Car sales charge for undercoating and a delivery fee... so fees for various things are certainly not unique to Dish.

This is a byproduct of people wanting itemized bills. The complaint of a unified bill is "I don't know what I'm paying for and why it costs so much"... but an itemized bill, by design, becomes a list of nickel & dime fees. I'm sure Dish would prefer to just charge one lump sum for each tier of service and go at that... but customers, and to some extent legislation, force them to itemized charges for various services... and there you get the various fees on the bill.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If I pay $40 to have a phone line in my house why should I pay a dime to E* for Ethernet check in? Let those that don't have the required phone line cover the development cost. :)

Anyways ... since this is a support forum, the root question has been answered (software does not come over phone lines) and we have threads in appropriate forums to discuss the future Ethernet dial in this one is CLOSED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.