1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Existing System

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SteinyD, Aug 26, 2010.

1. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    At the risk of asking questions already answered, please forgive me before I begin. If the answers can be found in the forums I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the appropriate threads.

I've been a DTV customer for 12 years. My last upgrade was at the time I moved into a new house 2 years ago. I have one HR21-700 with an eSata drive hanging off it. I have a HR21-100 and a R16 that I never connected. I want to replace the DVRs and add a HD receiver (3 boxes in total) and install Whole Home DVR service. Now for my questions:

I see there are a number of new 24 series boxes that have been released this year. I realize that there is complete redundancy, often model numbers representing a variety of different manufacturers. However, I cannot discern whether or not there are different boxes in the series that offer larger hard drives or other features worth noting. Are there differences?

And for Whole Home DVR, I have all my cables run and connected to the SWM in my basement. I assume they'll replace that with the DECA device and necessary 'dongles' (if they are still needed) at each of the set top box locations. Is this all true?

I'll be adding a 3D tv from Samsung over the next few weeks as well. I did see the particular model of interest on the supported list. Anything more here I need to know?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks to all in advance for the assist!

Regards,
    David

2. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    Thanks for the below. It looks like those threads will help me understand the Whole Home DVR situation. However, I don't see a comparison of the different H/HR 24 series set top boxes. Hopefully someone else will be able to identify differences between them besides manufacturers.

Thanks again!

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No real differences outside of manufacture.

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You're welcome Steiny and DogLover is right, only the manufacturer is different.

5. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    I see on DTVs website that they give the first HD DVR for $99 and all subsequent for $199. I wonder if anyone's been successful in getting them all replaced at $99 or better yet, $0.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    CSR roulette is what people play here, some have reported $99, some full price, some $0, some have talked credits for purchasing a leased unit from amazon or solid signal to cover the cost of the unit.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    But odds are that they won't replace perfectly good HR21's with HR24's for a reduced cost.

8. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    Over the 12 years i've been their customer, i've had some decent resposne when demanding things (in a nice way of course). I can make these boxes bad ;) ... actually, the performance of both has deteriorated and at times I feel like throwing my remote against a wall as they become more than sluggish in responding at times.

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Unfortunately, they won't guarantee you an HR24 as a replacement or an upgrade. $0 or $199, Directv considers all of their HD DVRs the same.

If you want to guarantee an HR24, you should try an online retailer.

10. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    Even now that they are marketing this series and have a number of manufacturers reved up to make them? Wow.

If I get one from a retailer, am I still 'leasing' it? When we were still 'buying' them, i have had luck with DTV giving me an account credit for the purchase price at a retailer. Maybe I can squeeze that out of them again.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    yes, you are still leasing.

12. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Yes, getting the box from a retailer will still be a lease. Regular retailers like Best Buy/Costco are not stocking the Hx24 boxes, so you would need to use an online retailer (like Solid Signal).

:)

13. SteinyD

SteinyD AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    The end to this story is that along with my swm / deca upgrade today and request for the hr24s, the tech did have them and have now installed 2 hr24-200s. The tech did acknowledge that they are in short supply and usually held for new customer installations. He was surprised he was asked to bring them to me.