1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade From HR-22 Options and Recommendations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SmokemanGRP, Jul 22, 2013.

1. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    [SIZE=10pt]Is there a document somewhere that lists the various D* receivers/clients, their features and pros/cons? Trying to understand the functions and capabilities of each component by reading the hundreds of posts can be a daunting task.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We currently have two HR-22’s which are mostly sufficient for our needs. We rarely have the need to record more than 4 shows at the same time, although it is a pain to balance the two individual record lists. The disk drives seem to be on the small side. I had an external drive connected to one of the HR-22’s but after a recent power outage the DVR came up and said there was 100% free space. I have no way of knowing if the problem is in the DVR, cable or external drive so I just unplugged the external drive and rescheduled our shows to record on the internal drive. The DVR’s seem real slow but I’ve read on the forum that they are “slow dogs”. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Our viewing requirements are pretty simple; two locations (living room & bedroom). Both have coax and Cat-6 cabling. We use Whole-Home and the coax network is SWM-8 (or SWM-4 maybe because I have a 4 way splitter). Both TV’s are HD and one is 3D capable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]We had a lot of problems 2 years ago after they installed SWM in our new house. 3 or 4 of the SWM Power Inserters burned out. The problem appeared to be improper grounding. Due to the rash of problems, I signed up for their Protection Plan which now states I can get an “[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]” but I don’t know yet exactly what that means.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I don’t want to be on the ‘bleeding edge’. When we sit down to watch TV I want to relax and enjoy the programming, not hassle with a buggy system. And, being on a fixed income I don’t have much money to invest in new equipment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]What would be a good upgrade considering our situation?[/SIZE]

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All the HD DVR's have the same functionality except for the HR34/HR44 models which gives you 5 tuners and the ability to use the tunerless mini-clients. The 44 has wireless connectivity built-in. Any HR2x model you got today would most likely have a 500GB HDD in it, the HR34/44's have 1TB....I have 3 HR2x models all with OTA tuners attached via AM-21's, all with external 2TB drives running fine. Oh and the Genies have a 100 series limit instead of 50 like the HR2x line. There isnt much else to it. There are some first looks available for most of the models if you really want to do some research.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A genie and genie mini is a perfect replacement for you IMHO. You may or may not want to use an esata drive but you'd need at least a 2tb drive as the genuine has a 1tb in it. What size esata do you use now?

The genie system would be faster. It also records everything via one series manager and you can access everything about the DVr from either location. It's like having the same DVr at both locations. It makes life easier.