1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade from HR24-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnchart, May 13, 2013.

1. johnchart

johnchart Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    Looks like I qualify for DTV receiver upgrade. Currently have HR24-100. What model should I ask for? I don't want or need Genie. What is the highest rated model other than Genie?

2. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    The HR24-500 is the highest non genie hd dvr I can think of. Not that it matters though as you aren't gaining anything going to it and you can not ask for a specific model by calling in. If you do not want the genie we can go no further.

3. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    If you don't want a genie, there's really not an upgrade for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And just to be clear, the -500 is not better than a -100, it's just a different manufacturer.

There have been minor differences with the -100 models in terms of the remote (though not sure if it's the case with the 24) and the -500 uses a different colorspace, but nothing worth considering. Besides, I don't think even Solid Signal guarantees that specific. The Genie is truly the only upgrade. There is an H25, but no HR25.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    There is no upgrade to the HR24-100 except to the Genie. Why would you not want one?

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, if you don't want the Genie, then there is nothing to upgrade. and dpeters11 is right that SS will not guarantee and specific manufacturer

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't want one, for many reasons. He's not alone.

Rich

8. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    What are the reasons?

9. johnchart

johnchart Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    The reason I don't want one is that my second receiver is in a bedroom & is never used. Are there other upgrade features on Genie, other than the whole home feature, that I might like?

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    It records up to 5 shows at once instead of 2. "Genie Suggests" will suggest other shows you might like based on what you record. Whole home service is available with the HR24 you have now. It's not a new feature.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    First, I have little faith in the longevity of HRs, any HRs. Lose a Genie, and you're without content until it's replaced if you use the Genie-Client setup. Then you find out that you've lost all your content. You cannot swap HDDs between any HR and expect to be able to watch the old content.

Second, I like my 12 HR setup much better than the Genie setup. For much of the same reasons listed above. I back everything up and if an HR goes out, I still have the same content on another HR. I've lost four HRs in the last month or so and haven't lost any content.

Third, sticking a 1TB drive in units with five tuners is not for me. I record whole series and binge watch them. You cannot do that with a 1TB drive. Paying ~ $400 for a Genie that I know I'm gonna stick a large external HDD on it is no different than what I have to do with my 24s. The only difference is that I don't have to pay all that money for a 24.

Fourth, I know this is more expensive the way I do it, but I don't lose content. And we don't really care how much it costs, I want to safeguard my content.

I could go further, but I'm sure everybody doesn't want to hear, once again, how or why I go with my setup, I've already explained it many times.

Rich

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Also, 100 series links instead of 50, Picture in picture. Has a larger internal hard drive and accepts a much larger external than the other models, however if the Genie goes bad, it is all lost, even if on external.

However, the $3 Whole Home fee is required if you are on the old pricing structure.

13. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Rich, if you just treat a genie as a 5-tuner DVR with a large disk, and it is free, there isn't really much of a downside.

14. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    In your case there is no point in paying $400.00 for a genie when you have all those HR's. In my case, and in many others cases, I had an HR24 and two H25's. I got a free upgrade to the Genie and kept the HR24 and the two H25's. The tech ran new cable to my granddaughter's bedroom and I put one of the 25's there. So now we have two recorders.

15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    A noob question. I too qualify for an upgrade at this time. I currently have 3 HR-24 DVR's and 2 H24 receivers. Is it possible to replace just one of the HR-24 DVR's with a Genie and replace the two H24 receivers with the Genie minis and keep the other 2 DVR's?

Or even keep all 3 HR-24's and replace the H24 receivers with a Genie and a Genie mini?

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That isn't an issue, just requires a SWM 16. Both scenarios will work, or even no genie client.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Makes sense but all your reasons have to do with replacing multiple dvrs with one genie. In the op case, he could just replace one dvr with a genie at no extra cost.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I realize that and I'll take a 44 without cost when D* offers it to me. I'd like to see how it works with my MRV system.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understand the preferences of some people are different than mine. I put my setup together before the 34s came out and we're happy with that setup as it stands at this moment.

Rich

20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would replace the H24 with the Genie and keep all of your HDDVRs