1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade gone wrong

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Haps, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    So I finally got around to trying out a drive upgrade so the family can stop fighting over recording space.

I've got an HR20 and grabbed a WD green 2TB drive to drop in it. Everything went well with replacing the drive. I put everything back together and now have 2 issues.

One is I can't for the life of me get RF working again. It's been working flawlessly for years and now it will not go to RF.

The second problem is a major major slowdown. Pressing guide and try to enter a channel number and I can get 30 secs of lag before it responds.

Any ideas?

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    The RF antenna is internal and with so many complaints about its performance, I would think someone here may have first-hand knowledge about fixing it. You may have pushed it out of place, disconnected it or damaged it while you were in there. Thoughts anyone?

As far as the HDD and delays, I'd wait a couple of days and see the guide updates and indexing catching-up will get delays back to normal.

What was the model and s/n of the WD HDD you installed? Hopefully, it was a recommended drive. Was there a reason you wanted it internal when external is an option?

Sorry, I'm not much help but maybe a reply with more info will get more help your way.

3. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I used a WD20EARS drive.

For the longest time RF never really worked on it so in the past I always had to use IR blasters which have their own problems. But since we moved to this place 2 years ago I tried RF again and it's been working flawlessly.

I'll play around with it some more. But the paramount concern is the slowness. It's almost unusable. Whereas the remote is an inconvenience.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Send the drive back, its not a well supported drive, you need either an EADS or more preferable is the newer EVDS model. That is probably the reason for the slowness.

5. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    Whats your opinion of the EVCS ?

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Bingo! The EARS model is notoriously incompatible. Maybe due to the 64MB cache. I have had great luck with the EADS, usually available at Amazon for $130 or so

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Return it.

If you need both an enclosure and a drive, this one is designed for DVR service and several of us are using this combo:

Western Digital 2 TB AV-GP SATA Intellipower 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive WD20EVDS ($141.99)

Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station ($36.77)

I got them both from Amazon. Don't use the lowest cost USPS shipping...the dock took 14 days to get from W. Virginia to Iowa, while the drive came in about 10 days. Next time, I'll pay a bit extra so I get it in a week or less.

I just put it on an HR20-700 at Rich's suggestion and couldn't be more pleased. Effortless with the Dock (just drop it in, hook up your cable (to an unplugged sat box), hook up power to the dock, turn power on the dock, wait 30 sec, then power up the sat box. Absolutely painless, plug and play, no assembly required.))

Not noisy, not a single glitch yet, and I've seen at least 5, perhaps 10 people using this drive, about half are using the docking station instead of an add-on enclosure.

8. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Bugger. I guess I messed up. I bought the drive because I saw it on here. But I guess I saw WD20EARS and just assumed it was the right one.

Oh well. With having to pay return shipping and restocking I guess I might as well keep the EARS drive.

Just crappy that it's not necessarily a good "performance" drive so I'm not super eager to throw it in my computer.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I very nearly made the very same mistake. I got a EADS last January, and while I was waiting for it to ship, discovered the EARS (D'oh!). "Hmmm. 64 MB cache. That will probably really work well in my HR, probably even better than the EADS I just ordered." But as it turned out I dodged a bullet.

Everything pointed to that it should be A-OK in the HR's, but some little idiosyncratic incompatibility makes that just not so. An easy mistake to make.

10. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Switched back to the original drive and speed wise everything is good. RF is still broken though. Not sure why that would have stopped working. Checked and double checked antenna and went thru the setup a sozen times.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    FYI, RF remote on the HR20-100 has an external antenna. The HR20-700 is internal. Which HR20 do you have?
    I see by your reference that you must have the HR20-100. So make sure that the F connector for the external antenna hasn't become loose on the back of the unit.

12. am7crew

am7crew Legend

Jun 5, 2009
    in my past experience with upgrading non HR24's its best to let it sit for a full 24 hours plugged in before using it as its super slow right after a upgrade but usually picks up after everything has populated usually within 24 hours.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Just curious, what is the ADVANTAGE of using one of those docking stations vs. a decent enclosure (MX) on a DVR?

I have one I use for other purposes (backups etc) but what does it do for a DVR? The "negatives" I see are they are pretty ugly and can be knocked over and may not always seat right after the wife dusts around it and moves it.

If we could "hot swap" drives (separate saved movies, saved series drives etc) that would be great but that can't be done.

They are definitely UGLY:

[​IMG]

14. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    The first time I tried an upgrade I used an EARS drive as well. It was garbage, it was slow and picture would get jacked. I use a 2TB WD EVDS drive and it works AWESOME. Never had a problem with it in both an HR-22 and now it's in my HR24. Highly recommended.

15. seamonkeys1

seamonkeys1 Cool Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I have been using the WD20EARS for about three weeks now with no problem. I am however using a hr24. I wondering if old dvr have problems with this hard drive.

16. snake98

snake98 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Did you change any jumper settings I'm about to upgrade my hr24, and you can get the ears for about $40.00 less. Also what version of the hr24 do you have 500,100,200? Did you transfer any shows? or just let it rebuild from scratch?

Thanks

17. Haps

Haps Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Ok so got the new EADS drive today and right off the bat it was a huge performance difference. Nowhere near what I experienced with the EARS drive.

As for my other issue. I of course hate sounding like an idiot. But in the interest of possibly helping someone else out in the future:

When I opened the case back up to put in the new drive I gave the RF antenna a good look over. Everything looked good. I looked at the RF card inside the box and everything appeared ok. That's when I noticed the white ribbon cable from the RF card not plugged into the motherboard. Plugged it back in and boom RF is working again.

Yeah yeah I feel stupid but...

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I think mine is beautiful. I have it sitting on the back of the pedestal on my 60" Sammy LED/LCD. It is invisible for normal viewing and the 2 TB drive recommended by Rich produces virtually no noise. If I could find a way to make it visible, I'd do so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:)

No one other than me, is allowed behind my home theater/hdtv setup. No one! I do my own dusting. I even keep my own Swiffer and supplies in the adjacent bathroom, so I can keep things clean.

While one can't hot swap, I think if you had two drives available for the dock, and both were set up with favorites, etc. Then you could power down and power back up with either drive and view content on either. The drives are married to the receiver, so as long as one sticks with the same receiver and two or three or four "married" drives are available, one should be able to use any of the desired drives with THAT receiver.

Of course, it isn't hot swapping, requiring a power down of the sat box and a restart. Caveat: I haven't tried this. I'm just working through it conceptually. I doubt I'd ever do it, and can't think of a reason to, except when it comes time to replace the drive, one wojuld have a "ready" replacement. I'm getting just over 500 hours of mpeg4 HD space on the 2 TB drive.

The down side of all eSATA setups is that the content is gone when the drive eventually fails (unless one knows how to mirror the drive with external tools, which some do, but is way too involved to be of use to me).

Suffice it to day, I love the dock. It's convenient, inexpensive, simple to use and ....yes...aesthetically pleasing....to me.:)

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They're easy to install, work silently (never had a silent MX-1) and they are less expensive than the MX-1. Today's price on Amazon is about $32, it varies from day to day. None of mine are placed where anyone can knock it over and it's nowhere near as easy to knock over as an FAP or any eSATA or enclosure that is perpendicular to the shelf or floor. You might think it's ugly, but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Rich

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Many people seem to want near silent operation vs. cooling of the drive, to each his own. I know under normal circumstances that the EVDS/EADS drives mounted in a functioning MX1 should last longer due to less heat in the drive. Passively cooled drive docks such as being discussed in this thread do run hotter than an actively cooled enclosure like the MX-1. I dont trust passive cooling for any of my drives that run 24/7, whether they are in a DVR or in a PC.