1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade Opinion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TrackerGG, Jul 26, 2013.

1. TrackerGG

TrackerGG New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    RI
    I am currently off contract. I have 3 hr-23-700's. One of them started having unrecoverable hard drive errors so I am thinking about upgrading.
    What are your opinions on the upgrade options? Keep 2 hr-23's (or try to upgrade them to the hr24) and get the genie? Just get the 3 hr23's upgraded to the hr24.
    Between my wife and the kids, I have no problem filling up most of the storage capacity of 2 hr23's.

thanks

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Get the Genie. As to upgrading the HR23 to HR24, DirecTV considered them to be the same. You would need to purchase HR24 at 3rd party reseller. like Solid Signal.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get the Genie and keep the HR23 as there is no practical way to upgrade them to 24's

4. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    All depends on your needs. Right now you have 6 tuners for recording. If you replace 2 HR23s with 1 Genie + 1 Genie mini, you'll have 7 tuners for recording (5+2). You can watch down the 2nd HR23 (that still functions), so won't be "losing" any saved content. Just saying.

-=K=-