1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade path from SD to HD

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmmmmm,,,,, I was wondering what everyone's upgrade paths were from SD to HD. My pet theory is that a household's main television was upgraded from a SD to a HD version, and that SD television was either recycled or used in another room. Then, as other SD televisions go out, they get replaced by HD televisons. How is my pet theory?

Of course, in my case, it's BACKWARDS. My mother's bedroom TV was replaced with a 42" HD. Last year, my bedroom TV was upgraded to a HD 32" TV. Yet, the main TV is still a 32" SD TV.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Once I got one HDTV in my home, the remaining SDs were doomed.

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    only really had one tv.. when childsupport ended I bought 1st 37" hdtv, 6.1 avr, hd reciever.. then replaced it with 52 and moved 37 to extra room.. and added27 in bedroom..

4. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    My HD upgrade path was simple. I had a bedroom TV die in 2004 ,so decided to get a living room TV instead 48 inch crt rear projection Mitsubishi. Movied my 32 inch Trinitron to the bedroom. Ever since then I've been through lots of HD tvs. And SD TVs now have been all replaced by HD TVs.
    My first HD service was Directv in 2005 with H20-600 paid $200 for it at bestbuy. Got my first HR20-700 in 2006 for $199 lease, $100 discount I might add.
    Got pissed at Directvs poor HD line up in 2007 so switched to dish my main service to dishnetwork. Until 2010 when their BS fees and hidden cost forced me back to solely Directv. Got an upgrade for Hr22 ,hated it worst dvr ever. Got pissed paid ETF went to cable.
    Had cable for 1 year got tired of their rip off triple play fees, dvrs ran circles around Directvs HRs though.

So then finally I took a Directv offer for $260 start up Hr34 hr23 and 2 H25. The dvrs are better, but some still have their moments. Not happy about the across the board price increase. But right now Directv is the best option we have.

Sent from my H866C using DBSTalk mobile app

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1
    Replaced a dead 32" first. Once we saw HD for a couple of days and how good it looked, the 36" set was history.
    Replaced the 32" with a 46" LCD,
    replaced the 36" with a 52" LCD.
    This was in March 2009.

We no longer watch SD channels at all.

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I actually planned for it. It started in 2000 when I got my first true AVR and in the audio showroom they had a 50" plasma for $25,000! :eek2: While that was never going to happen I waited for prices to drop. When I moved in 2003 I installed a phase 3 dish to be ready. In 2004 plasma was still too much but I got a 50" RPLCD and retired the 32" CRT that was in the living room. The bedroom, kitchen, and garage (shop) all had 13" CRTs. The kitchen TV died so the bedroom got HD and the old TV moved to the kitchen. Later the garage TV died so that got HD too.

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    We had a 27-inch SD TV in our family room. We gave it to a friend about 4 years ago and got a 32-inch HD TV. This past winter, we got a 55-inch HD TV for our family room and moved the 32-inch HD TV to our bedroom.

We had a small SD TV in my office, that got moved to the basement when I got an HD computer monitor. We have another SD TV in another bedroom which may eventually get replaced.