1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jonesm1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jonesm1

jonesm1 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Hello,
    I am new here so I'm not sure if this the proper forum. I only have two receivers. HR24-700 in the master bedroom and a HR 21-700 DVR in the living room. Just having the two tuners sometimes causes a conflict with watching one show and recording two others and the hard drive will sometimes max out. I called D. about upgrading to a HR34 and they wanted $248 with $100 customer loyalty credit. They also indicated instead of the HR 34 they could install a second HR 21 for free and that would give me 4 tuners and extra storage capacity. What would be the advantages and dis-avantages of theses two options?

Thanks,MJ

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You mention 2 HRs, but three tuners. One is an H? You can replace the DVR with a genie which would be the five tuners plus other functionality, all series links would be on it. Using 2 DVRs requires a bit more management as you can't manage both DVRs from the same screen.

Or you can add the Genie, and keep your current DVR.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The HR24 and HR21 already gives you 4 tuners. Are they not all hooked up?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think the HR24 was a mistake, and its an H24. Either that, or you're right and one only has one coax connection without SWM.

5. jonesm1

jonesm1 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    The HR 24 in the master bedroom is used very seldom. Are you saying that if it turned on that would give the system 4 turners and the ability to record more than two shows and watch another from the living room tv?

6. jonesm1

jonesm1 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Your right I did mean H24. Like I said I'm a newbie.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So in this case, you would need to choose either the Genie or an HR2x. I like easy management, so have one Genie.

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    How long have you been with D*? Do you have their protection plan?

9. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    I would just take the add'l HDDVR upgrade at no cost. You'll get 2 more tuners that you can record with for no change in your monthly bill and very little up front investment. Plus, if you split up recording duties, when one of the DVRs crashes you only lose half your recordings instead of all of them.

I will take multiple HDDVRs over a Genie every day of the week.

In fact, I had a technician show up to install a Genie at my home about a year ago and I changed my mind onsite once I learned I would have had to have a SWM16 installed and 4 cables from the dish running into my home. Modified the order to have an add'l HR24 installed and haven't regretted the decision at all.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I would too. "Never put all of your eggs in one basket"