1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade questions.

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by inkahauts, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have a relative. They have dish. They have a 311k and another receiver. I think they have a dish that picks up 110 and 119 but not sure if it gets anything else.

They got a new Hi Definition TV, and really need to go Hi Definition. No DVR necessary, they don't want to spend the money.

What do they need and how much more does Hi Definition cost than what they have now to get the same channels in Hi Definition not a higher package, if dish does it that way.

Frankly I told them they need to ask for more discount or jump ship, seems way to high to have what appears to be the lowest package and two sd receivers for $80 a month. They don't even get their local RSN. But evidently they call recently and where told no discounts are available to them.

Thoughts and suggestions? Including how to get to retention, because they may jump to DIRECTV if they can't get this bill lower. Its $6 more a month than the same would be with directv with their RSN and other additional channels, which surprised me.

2. Jul 1, 2014 #2 of 18
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My take is DISH had their chance with retaining your relatives and blew retaining them when they called recently about upgrading to HD service and were told no discounts are available to them. I don't understand why you and your relatives would wan't to give DISH a second chance at retaining them when we both know they'll be better off upgrading their service to DirecTV.

3. Jul 1, 2014 #3 of 18
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish usually doesn't turn down subscribers when they want to upgrade unless they are trying to get new equipment less than one year apart. You should have them check with a DIRT member here and have double check the account. As far as discounts, Dish gives them more for add on programing which your parent do not have. HD for Life used to be free, but that changed last year. Again I would contact a DIRT member to see what they can do as they do have more pull than the normal csr's you would get when you call Dish.

4. Jul 1, 2014 #4 of 18
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It seems odd if what you say is true that they only have 2 SD receivers and subscribe to the lowest tier. That shouldn't be $80. I don't have prices in front of me... but that seems too high unless you misread something about what tier they subscribe to.

5. Jul 1, 2014 #5 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Monthly price (in the long term) is probably very high on the list of reasons to retain DISH.

The ability of the DISH equipment to control a VCR may also be of interest (given that a DVR is not of interest).

The larger dish and the fact that it can't use the existing mast and foot is a ding against DIRECTV.

LOS may be less of an issue with DISH.

The kinfolk may not want to change everything up.

There's lots more to making the decision than 12 months of extreme discounting. Some are subjective and others are objective but everyone assigns their own weights.

6. Jul 1, 2014 #6 of 18
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    AT120 is $54.99 plus $7 second receiver total $61.99 plus any taxes a far cry from $80.

7. Jul 1, 2014 #7 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok, I have gotten my hands on their bill. Its at120 for 54.99. Extra receiver 7 and protection plan for another 7 plus 4.35 in taxes, so 73.34. They where rounding up a bit.

So if they upgraded one receiver to Hi Definition the most basic Hi Definition receiver you can get, the price doesn't change? Is that right? That's what someone on dishes chat system just told me.

8. Jul 1, 2014 #8 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    VCR control isn't even in consideration in any way. Los isn't an issue at all. Changing isn't an issue. Monthly price long term for what they are looking at is starting to look closer and closer to almost the same, but they'd get a bunch more channels with DIRECTV, namely root for the jazz, which they aren't getting with dish. I can't believe dish doesn't include RSNs at this high a priced package.

Oh and dish mount is not a consideration at all either. I like how you guessed a million reasons and none of them is relevant. Their biggest hesitation is DIRECTV wanting a credit card.

9. Jul 1, 2014 #9 of 18
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That makes more sense. Of course they could drop the protection plan and save a bit...

There will be a charge for HD, since they are not grandfathered into the "HD free for life" plan... That is $10, but there may be a promotion available to them for the beginning of the term when they upgrade.

10. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    They may want to consider dropping the Protection Plan, it can be added back when needed.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I guess it is good that they have you to assign their priorities for them.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Again, Why? and why?

To quote from your signature

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought

that applies to yourself as well

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because a new foot typically means new holes (plus the struts that are required more often than not for the Slimline) and because DISH offers two widely separated satellite constellations where DIRECTV offers one.

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Dish doesn't offer 2 satellite constellation locations, you get where your locals are.
    Don't make it sound like if a customer has a Los issue in Northeast Pa, that it's no problem to get 1000.2 installed over the .4
    That's has many many limitations. Like no locals, and more than half the HD will be out of reach since 129 is almost useless in the northeast.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When the choice is cable or not having LIL, which would you choose?

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Cable over Dish any day of the week!

17. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    What is that supposed to mean? Sarcasm aside It's just questions being asking that the TS is not sure about.

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    You should check what channels they mostly watch, and see if they want to change to the lowest tier Smart Pack, If that's not a option that's okay, I would first remove protection plan, then speak with Dirt here about upgrading prices, Then try speaking with Dish loyalty/retention and see what credits and discounts they can give you. Dirt can help you with anything I mentioned, not sure about discounts though.