1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade receiver options...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by idigg, Nov 9, 2008.

1. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Ok, here is the deal. I bought a SWMlnb on eBay, so I get both tuners active on my 2 HR21-700's. I have a D11-300 in our bedroom, and I have been told that the receiver isn't SWM compatible?

Would DirecTV let me swap for a newer D12 for a low cost? Any advice before I call? Thanks!

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Possibly, just depends if you get someone knowledgeable. Note that they cannot guarantee a specific model as their inventory system is feature based, not model based (ex. SD, SD DVR, HD, HD DVR).

You might just look at buying a D12 from a place like solidsignal to guarantee that you get the model you need.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Since you will have to upgrade anyway, a R22 ($99) might be a good tradeoff compared to a D12 ($69).

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Especially since the monthly price is the same!

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Great suggestion. The R22 is SWM capable and offers a huge amount of recording capacity for an SD DVR.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you call in and ask if they will give you a new r22 and they won't for free.. you could always see if they will simply give you a h21 or h23 for free... those are swm... I doubt they will simply upgrade your sd reciever to a newer version, but they might do it for a hd box... and the monthly cost is the same, so thats not an issue for you...