1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade setting

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by spartanrob, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanrob

spartanrob AllStar

Apr 19, 2002
    Is it better to set the 501 to automatically upgrade or ask for permission?

2. EvanS

EvanS Legend/Supporter

Mar 27, 2002
    I would base this decision on (1) the past history of YOUR particular 501 and (2) your intestinal fortitude.

I personally allow my 501 to take all upgrades. Now I am normally not at hard-core bleeding edge kind of guy but MY 501 has virtually always worked flawlessly. It has been a long time since I have seen any trouble from my unit...so I have not experienced many of the apparently upgrade-induced problems that others have seen. In that respect I say let it rock (although ANY particular update could be the killer)
    Even given this though, if I were one to worry about it much I probably would NOT allow immediate upgrades and would let some others test it out first. But the problem with "ask permission" is that if you have a timer that is ready to fire for recording and the 501 pops up a screen aking "accept download?"...your timer may not fire because the 501 seems to need to get a response to IT'S question before it will do anything else.
    These are the major issues that I am aware of - so if your 501 has been stable and reliable I would say let it do it's thing. Besides, you'll get forced into it within a couple weeks anyway, it seems.

3. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm with EvanS... I've never had any problems with software upgrades..... as always, YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.