1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade to a HR34 or HR 44 best pricing options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 63thk, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 63thk

63thk AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Easten, NC
    Want to replace one of my HR24s with either a HR 34 or 44. I've looked around online and found 34s for 299.00 on Amazon (from PACE) and 349.00 on Solid Signal. My question is can I simply purchase one and add to system or will I have to jump through the Directv agreement hoops to do so?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Those prices are leased, with a two year commitment required. It is extremely difficult to get an owned box without a commitment. DirecTV doesn't offer that as an option.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Specially with the newer boxes like the HR33/44. Since they are so new, they don't seem to offer them as "owned" yet

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It has happened before, I know at least one member here at least says his is actually owned. But not sure how he managed that.

5. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    You should be able to just activate it with the provided new access card, if you have SWM LNB or multiswitch already installed, otherwise they'll need to upgrade your system to SWM if you're still on legacy system, The HR34 on Amazon is leased which will have to be return to Directv if deactivated and will reset your 24 month commitment.