1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to an H24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ggmorton, Jul 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ggmorton

ggmorton Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Hello all,
    I ordered an H24 from Solid Signal to upgrade an old DRD435RH. I believe that I will need a B Band Converter. I don't think one is included with the receiver. The DirecTv rep I spoke to on the phone did not think that I will need one with the H24. I know that I do have a B Band Converter installed on my H20, but it could not be doing anything I guess.

SS says this:
    I know I only have 2 lines coming from the dish directly into my 2 receivers.

Will I need a B Band Converter for my H24?

Thanks!

PS: The DirecTv rep also said they would ship one to me free if I did need one. I was trying to get them to ship it now and cut out the delay.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You'll need one if your H20 has one.

3. ggmorton

ggmorton Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Update. Yep. I needed one as I suspected.
    The CS rep who activated my receiver still would not say I needed one. As soon as she transferred me to technical, they confirmed I needed one. They couldn't understand why they would say I didn't need one. At least they have a few sharps sticks in the bunch with the dull ones.

Now, I just have to wait on FedEx to deliver my BBC.

4. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Yes you need on B converter. I got the Hr-24 and use 2 B converters.

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The CSR was probably thinking about SWM setups that do not require a BBC.

:)

6. ggmorton

ggmorton Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I told them that some dishes require the BBC with the H24. I told them that I didn't have a SWM setup. They would look up something, and then say that the type of dish didn't matter at all. Just some wrong information or interpretation on their part. The tech support people had it correct however.

It probably has to do with the fact that in general the H24s are only being installed on upgrades with a SWM. Since I got my H24 outside of DirecTv channels, they can't comprehend the configuration I was going to have.

7. ggmorton

ggmorton Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Ok, I got my BBC today.

I'm seeing a weird issue, maybe someone can help me figure it out.

I installed the BBC on my H24. It can see all the channels, and works good from what I can tell. My H20 seems to be intermittently losing signal strength on Sat 99.

If I remove the BBC on my H24, then the H20 will return working without issue.

Any ideas what I can try to diagnose this.

Swap the receivers between rooms? Swap the two BBCs and see if the problem changes? The new BBC I received is one later rev than my old one.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    well the 23 models didn't need b-bands. maybe her logic is if the 23's didn't need em then the 24's probably don't.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thinking the very same thing - I bet you are correct.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Swap the two BBCs and see what happens. It's possible the the new one is defective. The next step would be to swap receiver locations.