1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to AU9S vs AU9-SL3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ct_vt_trekker, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ct_vt_trekker

ct_vt_trekker New Member

May 31, 2008
    I’ve got an appointment to upgrade to HD on 12/3. I currently have 2 Directivo DVRs and a Phase III antenna that’s mounted to the chimney because that was the only place to get line of sight to the three satellites. It’s the highest point on the house. Trees block any lower mounting and I can’t cut the trees because some are not on my property. I understand that the AU9 -5 LNB (AU9-S) slimline is the standard HD antenna they install now for Connecticut because SD Locals in Connecticut are on Sat 119 . I’m concerned about chimney mounting the AU9 5LNB due to it’s size and weight and how ugly it would be too. The current smaller Phase III dish is almost completely hidden by the antenna when looking at the front of the house, the larger dish won’t be hidden.
    My question is if I upgrade both my DVRs to HD instead of just one like I’m planning, will Directv install a Slimline 3LNB (AU9-SL3) so that I won’t need to see Sat 119 any longer? Am I right in figuring if I don’t have SD DVRs, I won’t need access to SD locals , and I won’t need to see Sat 119 any more ? If I don’t need line of sight to Sat 110 or Sat 119 we could mount the Slimline 3 dish lower, maybe to the side of the house at the peak.

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Note that the SL5 and SL3 both use the same reflector and thus are both the same size. The only difference is the little LNB assembly at the end of the arm.

You could try and request it, but they are still just rolling out.