1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrade to MRV/DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bigwad, May 14, 2010.

1. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I know this question has been answered, probably many times here. But with the Ethernet connections, etc, I'm confused as hell. So if this question is redundant, I apologize.

I have 2 HR20's and an older SD DVR. I have a bigger dish, but it has the sidecar LNB's and I get some pixelating and audio loss occasionally. My neighbor has a newer dish and according to the guy installing it, the sidecar LNB's are my problem.

I want to add another HD DVR and an HD receiver to use thru 4 rooms using the 2 existing HR20's I already have. If I upgrade to the MRV:

1. Will I get the HR24, or will I get whatever they have available on the truck? I haven't yet been able to figure out thru reading whether the HR24 is required or not. I'm thinking it is not a requirement, leaving me at their mercy.

2. Will I be able to get, by request or not, an upgrade on the sidecar dish I have?

3. Will they install a new switch? I'm not sure which I currently have, so this may be a dumb question. :)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated or just a point to a current post that can answer my questions. Thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the connected home forum. There are a lot of helpful threads there.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. the odds are better that you'll get a HR24, but they're not 100%
    2. the sidecar will get replaced with a slimline & SWiM
    3. If you have more than eight tuners, then the SWiM LNB wouldn't be used and a "switch" would be.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Aren't the odds somewhere in the <70% range?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Pulling more "data" out of your rear end again?
    I'm not going to post internal information on this here, but the 24s are earmarked for DECA/MRV installs/upgrades.
    If the installer's stock is short, then this won't be 100%.

6. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If I put an SWM system in, can I retain my home network based MRV system, and not use the DECA based MRV system?

I ask this because I have two separate dishes. I need one more tuner for the "main" system, and want to upgrade it to SWM. I want to leave the other dish and system "alone". Because I'm using wired/wireless home networking very successfully for MRV now, I don't want to complicate issues ....like trying to link two different dishes onto a single DECA based system.

I don't want to break what's already working perfectly. All I want is to have is the dish replaced (for SWM) on the main system and SWM implemented for 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver on that system.

The topography looks like this:

Main System: (Home Theater Room)

AT9 Dish
    HR20-700 hardwired to router/switch (right next to the HR21-200 below)
    HR21-200 hardwired to router/switch
    H21-200 wireless N to router/switch 30' away

Secondary System: (North End of House Room)

Slimline Dish
    HR20-100 wireless N to router/switch 80' away

The above two systems are linked (obviously) via wireless, so I have full MRV functionality between the two systems, even though they are on two different dishes. I don't think this can easily be done if I went to DECA and SWM on both systems.

So, the basic question is:

Can I leave the Secondary System as it is, leave the Main System as it is (i.e., home networking), but change the Main System to use SWM, so I have enough tuners? Are SWM and DECA linkage a requirement with an SWM upgrade, or is DECA just an add-on that I could forgo and continue to use my own fully functioning in-home network?

I know I could put a multi-switch on the main system to get more tuners, but that would require pulling another line through the walls, which could be completely avoided by going SWM.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    DECA needs SWM, but SWM doesn't need DECA, so unsupported MRV is still an option.

8. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Way cool! So there is no reason not to go ahead with my preferred plan, or do you see a fly in the ointment that I'm not considering?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Wireless networking, but knowing you that isn't your problem. :lol:

10. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    Thanks all, I'm making the call this afternoon!

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Why are you using 2 different dishes? You don't have more than 8 tuners so your setup really would be a lot simpler if you just changed to SWM and DECA running off one dish for all of your equipment.

Even if you had more than 8 tuners they could just set you up with a SWM16 and you could still use SWM and DECA off one dish.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    From the empirical data (and what I know) I'd say the odds are greater than 70% (but are not 100%) that a connected home system will receive an H24 or HR24 as a new receiver.

13. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    In the DECA cloud, I know the band stop filter is placed between the SWM and the first splitter; do you need DECA or filters for any NON-DECA receivers (e.g. H20)? I have two older H20's that don't support DECA (no ethernet ports). Do I have to worry about these within the cloud?

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Bandstop filters are needed.
    Receivers with DECA block the signal from reaching the SAT tuner. Any receiver without DECA needs a blocking filter to do the same.

15. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    Pretty sure those receivers will need to be upgraded if you want them to be used for MRV, as DECA still requires an ethernet port.

16. uncouth

uncouth AllStar

Nov 7, 2007
    Have a related question, mainly: I have an older HR20-100 and a DECA upgrade scheduled. I've been hearing there's a lot of issues with the HR20 and DECA. Is it likely the receiver will be swapped out? Should I ask or insist on it if not?

On one hand, wife doesn't want to lose recordings.
    On the other, I don't want MRV issues...

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is true to have them "work" with MRV & would be swapped for H21/23/24s as part of the DECA/MRV upgrade package.
    If the customer doesn't want MRV to these receivers, then a bandstop filter can be used and the H20s will work fine on the SWM system.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Insist" isn't an option.
    I can't say "most" have problems that can't be resolved. "Some" have had problems, but this would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

19. uncouth

uncouth AllStar

Nov 7, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I'll see how it goes down tomorrow. Having it swapped out would likely land me on the couch for a night or two anyhow. :p Too many shows on that box.

20. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    Thanks... I must have looked at the Multi-Room Viewing Receiver Compatibility list many times (as well all of the other DECA related information) and I can now see the answer was right there all along.