DBSTalk Forum banner

Upgraded box, installed left old equip?

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Brubear 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just took advantage of an offer to upgrade our old SD box, a D12, the last SD in our house. Upgraded to HDDVR.
The installer left the old D12 box at our house. I called him later to ask if he needed to come get it and he said not to worry about it. Is DirecTV no longer wanting these boxes back?

#2 ·
Call DIRECTV to make sure, but even if they say keep it, I'd advise you to still carefully hold on to it for at least around six months just in case.

For instance just last year I had an R16 SD-DVR (my last SD box) replaced by an HD-DVR and DIRECTV CS told me (twice actually) I could keep it. Then over a month later or so I found my bill slapped with a $175.00 un-returned equipment fee and some DIRECTV equipment recovery dept. on the east coast calling me asking where the R16 is? :rolleyes:

They provided a return kit and credited my bill so all ended well, but lesson learned to be careful of the "you may keep it" claims anyhow.

#4 ·
From the abundance of them on eBay (and prior comments in here) Directv is now considering the H20 HR20 H21 and HR21 as non recoverable.

Many of the CSR's are clueless as to what non-recoverable actually means, and do a very poor job of explaining to subscribers and ex-subscribers.

A cannot imagine them wanting a D12 Standard Receiver back

#5 ·
Continuing mystery why that is such a confusing question for the CSRs.

$175 is a considerable amount for most folks. Wonder what the phone notes and/or account notation says on that transaction??

These snafus are, IMO a big driver in driving customers to go crazy.

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Didn't have time to contact DirecTV today to ask about it. I will call them in the morning. I'm hoping they do want it back because I'd rather not be left with deciding what to do with it (E-waste?) only to have DTV come back at some point in the future wanting it...
If they do not want it, I will do as suggested above and request an email stating such.

Thanks again!

#10 ·
A D12 is only recoverable in leased deactivations only, not in equipment replace situations. However the latter is usually for defective receivers. I would definitely call DirecTV.

#11 ·
D12-100, 300 & 700 are recoverable after upgrade or account disconnect. It appears that they would not be recovered if they failed and had to be replaced via ERP. You will likely have to return the unit. Techs generally do not recover units that are replaced via upgrade probably because that creates even more potential for erroneous charges to be accrued.

#12 ·
Rent_Share said:
From the abundance of them on eBay (and prior comments in here) Directv is now considering the H20 HR20 H21 and HR21 as non recoverable.

Many of the CSR's are clueless as to what non-recoverable actually means, and do a very poor job of explaining to subscribers and ex-subscribers.

A cannot imagine them wanting a D12 Standard Receiver back
I had a defective HR21-200 replaced just a few weeks ago and a return shipment label was included for the recovery of the unit. I was also told by the CSR who ordered the replacement that I would be required to return the defective unit.

#14 ·
ryanh9992 said:
HR21s and above are recoverable, also H23s and above are recoverable.
I'm sure DirecTV can change their mind but I disconnected my service almost a year ago and my HR-21 ended up being non-recoverable. Took a couple calls to find someone who told me that, first one said they'd send another box, and they must have been right since I haven't been billed for not returning it.

#15 ·
evan_s said:
I'm sure DirecTV can change their mind but I disconnected my service almost a year ago and my HR-21 ended up being non-recoverable. Took a couple calls to find someone who told me that, first one said they'd send another box, and they must have been right since I haven't been billed for not returning it.
You are correct. They used to be non recoverable, why they have them recoverable now is beyond me.

#17 ·
Update: D12-700 IS recoverable at least in upgrade situations.

Called Direct. They said a return order should've automatically been generated when I ordered the upgrade, but for some reason it did not. Recovery kit now on the way.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad I took your advice and called them.

#18 ·
Brubear said:
Techs generally do not recover units that are replaced via upgrade probably because that creates even more potential for erroneous charges to be accrued.
This is 100% incorrect technicians should recover ALL receivers that are deactivated during an upgrade, service call, etc.... The make and model does not matter DTV has a scrap process for older models that are not refurbished the access card is scanned for any unbilled charges and then the access card in most cases is reused.

#19 ·
Your not kidding about reused access cards. I have seen more than one pretty strongly discolored from heat in 'new' (read that 'refurbed') boxes.

Saw a refurb sticker on a DISH splitter once, maybe that was a joke, or they just put the sticker there to indicate the receiver is a refurb? I dunno, but it was pretty funny to think about how tight with a nickel management would have to be to be refurbing $1.25 splitters, LOL.

#20 ·
west99999 said:
This is 100% incorrect technicians should recover ALL receivers that are deactivated during an upgrade, service call, etc.... The make and model does not matter DTV has a scrap process for older models that are not refurbished the access card is scanned for any unbilled charges and then the access card in most cases is reused.
Should. yes. Do? Not so much. I take these calls day and day out and generally see recoveries only during service calls, but then again techs generally can't call in anymore so I seldom speak to them anymore. I order a LOT of recovery kits for irds replaced by upgrade so 100%? I can't say that is correct. and DirecTV having a scrap process for irds it does not want to redeploy is news to me.

I send the recovery envelopes for the access cards as a fulfillment item.

#21 ·
"An attempt shall be made to recover and return all Set Top Boxes from a customer's home when they are swapped or replaced regardless of model."

Just because some techs don't follow the policy outlined above doesn't mean it is not 100% the policy.

I am sure that a lot of things go on that you don't know about. There is also 100% a scrap process in place for IRD's that are not refurbished.

#22 ·
that one should not fall back on you anyway, when a installer does a swap replace on a customers account that should automatically fall into HIS inventory return list, Did he at least take the access card out and with him, in some instances and varies other reasons sometimes the access card is all that the installer will take.

#23 ·
west99999 said:
"An attempt shall be made to recover and return all Set Top Boxes from a customer's home when they are swapped or replaced regardless of model."

Just because some techs don't follow the policy outlined above doesn't mean it is not 100% the policy.

I am sure that a lot of things go on that you don't know about. There is also 100% a scrap process in place for IRD's that are not refurbished.
I haven't worked in the field for over a decade. Field policy is not shared with agents. I would agree that set top recovery should take place - it only makes sense - but I diligently researched our resources and there was NO mention of that policy, only what is done if a customer is negatively impacted by a recovery that ended up in them being charged a NRF.
If there is a link for that policy, could you share it?

#24 ·
Brubear said:
I haven't worked in the field for over a decade. Field policy is not shared with agents. I would agree that set top recovery should take place - it only makes sense - but I diligently researched our resources and there was NO mention of that policy, only what is done if a customer is negatively impacted by a recovery that ended up in them being charged a NRF.
If there is a link for that policy, could you share it?
If you have access to DWS you can find it there along with all policy and procedure related to the field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.