1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgraded to add Genie, tv apps don't work, pressing dash shows no internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jayknitter, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jayknitter

jayknitter Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I had 2 HD DVR recievers and upgraded to add a 3rd which happens to be a Genie. After the installer left I realized TV apps weren't working on the Genie and when I push the dash button it says there is no internet connection. The old receivers all work correctly and I can share playlists between all three receivers. Below is my wiring diagram, is there something hooked up incorrectly? If I run an Ethernet cable from my hub to the Genie the TV apps work but the Genie still says no internet connection when I push the dash button. Any ideas??? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I would run the Ethernet to the Genie and get rid of the deca off of the PI. . . Then reboot the Genie and it should see the Internet along with the other Hrs.

Be sure the 44 isn't using wifi with this connection. Only 1 internet connection for the DECA cloud.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Does it even work with a Deca on a Genie? I thought only a CCK or direct connect via ethernet or wireless?

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While you could put a deca on a genie, you don't need one. It's built in.

Edit: Unless you mean a DECA as a CCK. . .which should work. I just wouldn't put it on the PI.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    It looks very convoluted. I just didn't get why the installer would even put a Deca on the Genie. I thought they were all installing with CCKs?

6. jayknitter

jayknitter Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    You guys nailed it. I removed the Deca off of the PI and instead plugged the ethernet into the HR44 and everything seems to be working correctly now. Too bad the original installer couldn't get it right and a second guy that came out a week later couldn't identify the problem either. You guys rock.

7. jayknitter

jayknitter Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    So this may or may not matter, but when I press the dash button now it says that the internet isn't connected again. I can however use the TV apps, which is an improvement. On-demand shows still work as well. The TV Search thing in the Search and Browse menu still says its updating and check back in an hour though, its been like that since we got the Genie installed. What do you guys think?

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you have TVApps and VOD, you're internet connected. . . it may take a while for the network services to catch up!

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the DECA is the CCK

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Run Settings/Network Setup/Repeat Network Setup

11. jayknitter

jayknitter Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Just to update, pressing "dash" still reports internet is not connected but OnDemand, TV Apps, and the new TV Search all work. Not sure if I should care about "dash" reporting no internet since everything seems to be working just fine. Thanks guys.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Have you tried actually downloading and/or playing a VOD tittle?