1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from SD to HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jpmd, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jpmd

jpmd New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Just made an Appt. to upgrade from SD to HD.
    I've had bad installers in the pass. First installer only dropped two lines from a standard dish to two individual SD receivers. When I upgraded to one DVR the next installer bitched that the first installer did not drop four lines from the dish to a central location in my basement.
    So now I'm going to only have one SD receiver (in bedroom) and upgrade to a HD-DVR in the living room.
    Question #1 - will they take off the old dish and put the HD dish in the same location?
    Question #2 - is it just one cable run from the Dish to the basement, then two cables to the HD-DVR receiver and one cable to the SD receiver?
    Question #3 - is there some kind of splitter from the dish to the receivers, if so does it need power?

Thanks too any one who can shed some light on what I should look out for with this HD-DVR upgrade from the installer

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With your upgrade, they will basically just replace the dish. It might go in the same location, but it is a larger dish, so the current location may not be feasible.

If the second installer, set it up for you to have the cables run from a central location, it will still stay that way. You should still have 4 cables coming down from the dish to that central location. From the central location, you will have 1 cable to the SD receiver, 2 to the HD-DVR and the foruth will not be used.

- Merg

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    The other possibility is the new install will be a swm setup. It would require all hd boxes, though. You will still need a new dish, but there would be one line from the dish to the house, then to the power inserter, then the splitter. From there you need only one line to the dvr and one to the receiver.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe that since they will only have one HD receiver and will not be going with MRV, the standard install is still a legacy setup. I'm sure that RobertE or Battlezone will correct me, if I'm wrong. :)

- Merg

5. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I'm sure you are right. I mentioned the swm possibility only because the op kind of asked about it.

6. jpmd

jpmd New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I currently have the Phase III Dish. Isn't this dish capable of receiving HD?

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No. You need a Slimline 3 or Slimline 5 depending on your location.

8. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Actually there are two (I think) Spanish hd channels on 119. All of the rest are on 99 and 103.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Huh ... :confused: Are the SD D12 and R16 SWM capable STB receiver and DVR no longer being installed?

10. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    First off, I have no idea what model sd receiver the installer may bring, and second, and more important, I didn't realize the D12 and R16 are swm capable. I think I was mixing up the mrv requirement that all boxes be hd, be they receiver or dvr. Thanks for the information!

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The Merg is correct. On an upgrade where SD receivers are being kept, and MRV is not being ordered, receivers will NOT be swapped out for SWM compatibility, so the system will remain a legacy (non-SWM) system.

If, say, all receivers on the account were being upgraded to HD (which is a good idea), or if MRV was being ordered, the computer would almost certainly build the upgrade with SWM, but since that isn't the case here, the computer spits out legacy parts for the upgrade.

12. jpmd

jpmd New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    So what is likely the model number of the HD-DVR that I will be getting in a legacy setup. I will be keeping my D11-100 SD receiver with this new setup.

Thanks again.

13. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    'Possible' is anything from an HR20 to an HR24, I think 'likely' is hard to say though.

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    As always, you get whatever the tech has on his truck, which means whatever the warehouse had in stock the last time he went to pick up equipment. SWM vs. legacy really doesn't matter.