1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading HD on fully owned HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by heptech, Oct 20, 2012.

1. heptech

heptech New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I have searched through some of the forums and have not found an answer yet.

I have a fully owned HR34 and I put a 2TB drive (Hitachi CinemaStar 5K2000 HCS5C2020ALA632) in it that I performed a low level format so it was new again, when it boots up it says:
    problem has been deteced in the storage device
    this may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.
    please reboot the box. that may fix the problem.
    if that does not work call customer service.

Diagnostic code: 14-538

arent you supposed to just put the drive in and have it rebuild the drive? or is there something else needed to be done?
    I have not seen anything yet on the forums so I wonder if you may be able to help me out. it would be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    first: it's HDD , not HD
    second: remove MBR from the Hitachi (Drive Manager would do that by removing all partitions)

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    First, your format may have been the problem. We normally put a bare or even a used HDD with data (not my recommendation) in and let the DVR handle it.

Second, not all HDDs are compatible. I realize this was your first post, and welcome; you are in the right place, and we wish you'd come here before you bought and formatted the Hitachi drive, but, onward and upward. Search this forum for suggestions, of which you will find many terrific ones. The HRs (not sure about the 34) have a long history of working well with the green WD drives. With others, maybe not so much.

Litzdog is a bright guy and a long-time member with a history of providing very helpful info, so start with his link.