1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading Networked H21s to H25s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by toricred, Jun 21, 2013.

1. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    I currently have 4 x H21 with an SWM LNB all connected to my network using the built-in ethernet ports so that I can control them over IP. One of the receivers is having problems and I've decided to upgrade them to H25s, but I need to keep the network connections and I can only do one receiver a month due to the cost.

My plan is to upgrade the first receiver, get a DECA device to connect my network and BSFs for the existing H21s until they are replaced. I have verified that the SWM splitter is a green label. Does this plan work and which DECA adapter should I get to connect the ethernet network to the SWM network?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    That will work. And actually any deca will work, you should see if you can get the DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit one from DIRECTV web site for free or real cheap. They offer them cheap often. Otherwise eBay. Just remember you need a power supply one to work.

3. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Great. I have the 4 way splitter and 4 receivers so I assume I will need to get another 2 way SWM splitter and hang it off one of the outputs of the 4 way splitter. Can they be daisy chained like that?

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes they can be. Just make sure you pay attention to the power passing if you have your power supply hooked up to the one you are adding a second splitter to.

5. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    So the layout would be:

SWM LNB --- 21v Power Inserter --- 4 port SWM splitter --- 2 port SWM splitter --- Broadband DECA ---ethernert and power supply for DECA unit.

All other ports on the SWM splitters would be connected to receivers. Does it matter which port the 2 port splitter and the DECA unit connect to?

6. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    OK I figured out that your mention of the power passing only applies if the inserter is on one of the output ports of the splitters. I'm using it before the splitters so that should be fine. Neither my power inserter nor my LNB are Green Label. Does this mean I need a BSF before the inserter?

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    No.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Not necessarily, but it certainly won't hurt. I thought all SWM LNBs had the builtin filter(?) I don't have a green label SWM and my system works fine without a filter (YMMV).

9. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    So I've decided to set up the three H21s with DECA adapters instead of the BSFs and to upgrade my SWM LNB to a green label one since my total cable length through the entire syatem is a little less than 20 feet and I want to be sure. Is there any need to replace the power inserter with a green label version?

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I am not sure there is such a thing as a green label swim, I know the swim 16 all are green label even if they don't have an actual green label. Can't recall on the swim lnbs. A bsf can't hurt the system in this case, so you can put one on where the cable connects to the first splitter front he dish if you'd like. No need to replace the lnb, I would not touch it if its got a good signal.

11. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Perfect timing with the response. I was just about to place the order including the LNB. So I shouldn't need to replace it and also shouldn't need the BSF. That's good since it takes a couple of days to get any of the parts where I live so I want to make sure I've got the right parts from the beginning.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am not sure there is such a thing as a green label swim, I know the swim 16 all are green label even if they don't have an actual green label. Can't recall on the swim lnbs. A bsf can't hurt the system in this case, so you can put one on where the cable connects to the first splitter front he dish if you'd like. No need to replace the lnb, I would not touch it if its got a good signal.

SWM LNB are in fact "green label" before DECA they were "white" label. the "green" label denotes compatibility with DECA. if your LNB is not green label, a BSF filter is required

13. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    OK I got the BSF ordered. Parts will start coming in on Wednesday, but some may not be here until the following week. Sounds like a good project for the Fourth of July.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    SWM LNB are in fact "green label" before DECA they were "white" label. the "green" label denotes compatibility with DECA. if your LNB is not green label, a BSF filter is required

Ok, it's only the swim16 then that came out when/after deca and therefore all work with deca without a bsf. Just Couldn't remember for sure.

15. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Everything arrived today except the H25 itself. That is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I may try to get all the DECA stuff installed tonight so that I only need to drop the H25 in and get it activated tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help figuring out my parts list.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Great news. Let us know how it works tomorrow.

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ok, it's only the swim16 then that came out when/after deca and therefore all work with deca without a bsf. Just Couldn't remember for sure.

SWM16 do not need a BSF (from the LNB) because the feed a legacy LNB

18. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    One more question. Do the DECA adapters provide DHCP addresses to the receiver attached to them via ethernet or do the receivers still get their IP addresses from my existing DHCP server?

19. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    One more question. Do the DECA adapters provide DHCP addresses to the receiver attached to them via ethernet or do the receivers still get their IP addresses from my existing DHCP server?

Existing. They are more like a switch than a router.

20. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Great, it just threw me off because they have a MAC address and unmanaged switches don't.