1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading SD to Genie - DTV giving me a new SD DVR too.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WalkGood, Aug 21, 2014.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I have an R15-500 and an old (dead) HDVR2.

I called DirecTV to get an HD DVR for my new flat screen TV. I only have one HD TV. I decided on the GENIE unit, which will be an extra $3/month (mostly because of the extra DVR storage, and the picture-in-picture). Told them I will be keeping my R15-500 (I own it).

So they transfer me over to the people who confirm that you (meaning me) understand the new 2-yr commitment etc. That dept tells me I am getting a new GENIE *PLUS* a new SD DVR unit because of equipment incompatibility. Supposedly it won't cost me anything extra. I was confused, so a supervisor gets on and only tells me again the SD DVR is no charge. Nothing about the reason why.

The very first rep did not say anything about me getting a 2nd new unit nor any incompatibility of my R15-500. So my question is, what is the incompatibility of my existing R15 unit with a new GENIE and new HD dish? I am happy about getting a new SD DVR as well, since my R15 sometimes flakes out on me (I already swapped out the power supply with an eBAY bought unit, when it died).

Another question, how many wires are needed for the GENIE? Will my existing RG6 wires be OKAY?

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The R15 SD DVR does not work with the Single Wire Multiswitch dish setup, which is required by the Genie HD DVRs. So they'll replace your R15 with an R16 SD DVR that is compatible.

Only one coax feed is required for the Genie DVR. Your current RG6 cables should be just fine.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But here's the thing, the replacement would be leased. In this case, I'm not sure if having the Protection Plan would keep the replacement as owned.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would like to know, after the job is done, did they replace it with an HDDVR in light of the new rule about installing only HD equipment in new installations.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think that policy is for NEW installations, i.e. starting a new account, not adding new equipment to an existing account.

6. joeerror

joeerror New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    United States
    If it's owned you should be able to activate and deactivate the R15 as you choose with no agreement. Perhaps you could pay a custom installation fee to the installer to install an external SWiM module and run the Legacy ports to the location of the R15? Then deactivate the R16 and reactivate the R15. Pretty dependent on the tech though, I don't think customer service would be able to set that order up for you.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, SD equipment has NOT been eliminated. Existing subs are able to order SD equipment if they would like. This would be a “system swap” which is like for like replacement

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What most reps do in this case, is to offer a mini to replace the SD DVR. If I was the TS, I would call back and ask if that would be possible

9. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    There was some discussion of sending an HD DVR to replace my working R15, and a "converter" for it to work with my SD TV. But then a supervisor authorized an SD unit like it was a "special" override. Now that I think about it, an HD unit would be easier on me if I do get a 2nd HD TV. I ass-u-me that the converter is end-user removable?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, the adapter / converter could be removed by you.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure what they where referring to. Perhaps an RF modulator? Does your TV have composite inputs?

12. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    TV has coax input, s-video input, single (yellow) video RCA input as well as the R-G-B component RCA inputs.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Then you wont need any “converter” all HDDVRs have composite outputs (yellow RCA type connection)

14. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Even though this is a non-HD TV? Won't the HDDVR video signal not work on a SD TV? Or does the HDDVR also output an SD video signal?

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It does put out SD signals. Does your TV have the red, white and yellow connections or just the coax connection ? The Genie will connect to the red , white and yellow connections.

16. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    And the RCA red/white for left/right audio.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The R, G and B for video would probably be the best SD picture if you set the resolution to 480p in the Genie or other receiver.
    The other red and white is for left and right audio.