1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading soon, need questions answered

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cecil240, Jul 15, 2013.

1. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    I am upgrading my equipment after August 3rd. I do not know what all this will cost so I want to ask some questions.

In my living room, I have an HD DVR HR 22-100, I would like to get something faster from Directv if its possible.

In my computer room, I have a D-12 that I would like to replace it with just an HD reciever as I am adding an HDTV to this room.

Can some of you experts recomend which way to go? I don't care anything about getting recorded shows in the computer room as I have Directv2pc on my computer and it works just fine if nothing changes after the living room DVR upgrade.

I am on a month to month basis and have been with Directv for about 4 years and I want to stay with them, so a 2 year commitment or whatever is no worry.

I think someone told me that I have a legacy system so maybe changes at the dish too?

Suggestions appreciated!

Cecil240

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only DIRECTV has the information necessary (package and payment history) to tell you how they are going to treat you.

My guess is that they'll try to sell you on a Genie w/GenieMini system although just the H2x would technically be an upgrade.

As always, know that changing out an SD device for an HD device will fetch you a 24 month commitment.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get a Genie (34/44) and keep the HDDVR. "grease" the tech to swap the HR22 to an HR24. you will be all set!

4. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Get a Genie and keep the HR22 and if you can do it peds48's way that would be even better. The Genie's 5 tuners is very nice feature, no more recording conflicts. I would not recommend a genie and mini-genie set-up unless you do not mind the one point of failure risk.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yep, I take care of (and get taken care of) customers all the time. Win Win for both....

6. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    We do very little recording of shows and events. We are satisfied with having just the one HD DVR but I am tired of putting up with how slow its been over all these years. I think to get that upgraded and being the main watching point in the living room, all I need is just an HD receiver in the second room. Thats how I would like to go with it if I could.

Cecil240

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Then do that. Get a genie to replace the hr and you'll be happy.

8. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    I am not going to do the upgrade for now. I want a d12 in a third room and have ordered the receiver from Directv. My question is, can I split the signal where the d12 is in the computer room at the SAT line IN and run a second line back to the other room where I am putting the other d12? What kind of splitter would work for this?

Cecil240

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You cannot use splitters this way for legacy installs. If you have a spare port on the LNB at the dish or on a multi-switch located somewhere, you must run another coax line from that point to the "third room."

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    No you need to run a Direct line From The "switch" you have now (when the rg6 comes from) the D12 you have in the computer room. Run from the Switch to the New room Connect your new D12.

11. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    There was a skinny guy that put that under the house way up close to where there isn't much clearance between the house subfloor and the ground. I am a big guy, I don't know if I can get too it or not. I may have to let them worry about it to save me the trouble of getting stuck under there. (lol)

Cecil240

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep;

Installers will do that sometimes unfortunately.

Put those multi-switches in an almost inaccessible place. Thus an advantage of SWiM, where simply splitting the feed to the computer room like you wanted to do originally would have been no problem so long as the maximum tuner count for the install is not exceeded.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Are you sure that you even have a multi-switch in your system? Since you only have 3 tuners, there was really no reason for the installer to add one. He likely would have just run 3 lines from your dish to your two receivers. How many lines do you have from the dish to the crawl space? If it's only 3, then you will need to run a new line from the dish to your new receiver.

14. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    There are 4 lines coming out of the LNB. I only have a HD DVR in the living room where there are 2 of the lines and then the computer room where only 1 line is coming in to the D12. I really haven't saw whatever is under the crawl space up close because I can't get up there. I will look tomorrow.

Cecil240

15. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    Well, I made it up under there and it was a tight fit but I had 1 output left on that switch or whatever it was for RG6 coax and I got it on there. I had to really stretch the last 4 feet. The extra receiver is now hooked up and is authorized. I am glad that job is over!

Cecil240

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.

17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Good Job -Even Big People can Be D* Installers - :righton: Glad you got it Done