1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading sys to WHDVR w/access to VOD, Apps, etc

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mrphil, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Have a 3 year old system comprised of:

Dish with 4 RG6 Quad wires running to house to Multi-Switch (See photos)
    1 HR24-500 with 2 cables and ethernet (Dish type = Slimline-3)
    3 H24-700's with 1 cable and ethernet

Wanting to return one of the H24-700's and purchase an additional HR24-500 and setup so that all receivers can access either DVR's recordings and all have internet access. It's my understanding the ethernet currently connected would be disconnected since all 4 of these would receive that via the video cable. I believe the LNB will need to be swapped out as well and the Multi-Switch removed. Can someone advise what equipment I would need to obtain to put this all together? Is it perhaps less expensive to talk D* into doing all this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course it will be cheaper to have DirecTV do this for you. but if you feel adventurous and want to do this yourself you will need a SWM3 LNB with a 21v power inserter along with a 4 way SWM splitter and a DECA BB to "inject" internet to the DirecTV coax network.

Also note that DirecTV does not guarantee receiver model numbers. if you want an specific model, you will need to go through a 3rd party dealer like solid signal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 person likes this.
  3. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks for the advice and quick reply!

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for the advice and quick reply!
    :righton:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Something you can do would be to obtain the new HR24 from a third party and then have DirecTV come out and do the install/upgrade to Whole Home. Depending on your history with them, the install/upgrade might be very minimal in cost.

- Merg