1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to DishPro equip...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Diffused Mind™, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diffused Mind™

Diffused Mind™ New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Hi everyone, i'm planning to upgrade my dish equip. and I was wondering if it was possible.

Currently I have a 2700 and a 3700 receiver with the dish 500 legacy twin LNB. The system was originally installed in 1999 and was upgraded to dish 500 in about 2002/2003. However, only the LNB was changed.

I want to upgrade to a four-room setup with two dish 322 receivers, and that requires a DishPro LNB. So, I have a few questions about this setup:

A) Will the smartcards i'm using now work with the 322's? They're the newer orange ones.

B) Do I have to call Dish to reactivate the receivers or whatnot? I'm planning on buying the receivers off of eBay.

C) The legacy receivers (2700/3700) will not work with the DishPro LNB, correct?

Thanks.

2. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    A) No, the 322 has internal "smart cards" burned into the board. You won't be able to use the old cards for any purpose.

B) Yes, they will need to be activated to your account. Before you buy, verify that the recievers have no balance owing, or you will have to pay that before they can be activated.

C) Incorrect, a DishPro reciever (such as the 322) will work fine with legacy equipment and switches with no issues at all.

Hope it helps.

3. Diffused Mind™

Feb 4, 2006
    Ah, excellent, thanks.

Would you recommend upgrading to a DishPro LNB w/ two 322's, or buy a legacy quad LNB and just one 322 (while keeping the 2700 and 3700)?

4. Diffused Mind™

Feb 4, 2006
    Well, after doing a bit of reading, I found that that the 322 seems to have some quirks, and having only mono audio on TV2-coax is...undesirable. Would it be possible to have a legacy quad LNB w/ two Dish 311's, one 2700, and one 3700?

5. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    Yes that's what a "quad" does feeds four receivers. Keep in mind the newer receivers "work" with legacy. It's some older receivers that won't work with dish pro/pro+.

6. Diffused Mind™

Feb 4, 2006
    Nice, thanks for clearing all that up.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff.:blush:

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    DishPro and DP Plus are explained at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217. Legacy receivers can be used with DP Plus if a DP receiver is also connected, but some have had luck w/o a DP receiver.

You might consider a 625 instead of 2 311s. The DVR fee is a buck more than the additional outlet fee of the 2nd 311, but it gives you DVR capability in 2 rooms. Like the 322 the "no phone" penalty applies. Unlike the 322, the RF out has MTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.