1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading to Genie forced to purchase Wifi Cinema kit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by lhpelton, May 14, 2013.

1. lhpelton

lhpelton Cool Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I called today and upgraded one of my DVRs to a Genie, I was able to get this upgrade for free, but they forced me to purchase a Wifi Cinema kit.
    I already have the wired kit, and don't understand why I had to more to wirless.
    Anyone have any insight on this?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you already had the CCK you don't need the WCCK. Did D install it?

Depending on what you paid for it (generally on the website it's $30), it's a pretty good deal and an interesting box.

3. lhpelton

lhpelton Cool Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I installed the wired kit myself.
    They are charging me $99.

I don't think I even understand what it does for me.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unfortunately, since you installed it, it wasn't updated on your account.

They're going on ebay for $30-50. You don't need it, but it can be used as a wireless bridge for any other purpose.

If it hasn't been shipped, I'd call back and explain that you already have internet access from your dvr with the wired kit you installed.

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The CSR messed up. About 6 weeks ago, the ordering system was supposed to apply this automatically but it still does not. If the ordering system requires this (only requires it because it adds a SWM to the work order) it is expected to be waived by the CSR.

1 person likes this.
  6. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Their is no point in having both the cck and cck wireless. They both do the exact same thing essentially. Also, we do not force our customers to do anything. Free will ya know.