1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading to Genie questions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jcmwwe, May 31, 2013.

1. jcmwwe

jcmwwe Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi i was told yesterday that i could upgrade to genie for free because i have the protection plan. What i was wondering is how much more a month does it cost to have genie then the then having a hd dvr plan? I am currently paying for choice xtra plus paying $10 for hd advanced receiver monthly and $10 for advanced receiver dvr monthly and $6 for additional tv receiver a month. What does it cost for genie plus 1 mini a month? Is it much more then i currently have to upgrade to genie a month? If anyone knows or having already upgraded please let me know. Thanks.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you straight replace a DVR with a Genie there is no change in cost. Adding on a mini is the same as an additional receiver so it would be $6/month. You don't need a mini in order to have a Genie, so you could still use your current receivers/DVRs that you have. Also, if you don't have it now, you can also look at adding Whole Home to your plan so that you can watch recordings off of any receiver for $5/month. If you do opt to replace a receiver with a mini client, you will need Whole Home in order for you to delete recordings on the Genie from the mini client.

- Merg

3. jcmwwe

jcmwwe Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    So how much more a month does it cost then?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the genie and client are replacing your current boxes, with no additions, there is no additional receiver/client fee. If you are adding a box, it's $6 per box. You would need to have Whole Home, which is $3 a month.

5. jcmwwe

jcmwwe Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    So would be $3 extra a month for whole home dvr then? Also do u have genie? Do u like it? Thanks.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    deleted

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    of course we our Genies, specially when they look like this....

http://en.wikipedia....i/Hannah_Davis_(model)

:rolling:

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, Whole home is required, and since you have had a DirecTV account, it's not built into the Advanced DVR fee.

I've had my Genie since December 2011. Wouldn't give it up.

9. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I have whole home, HR34, HR24 and HR22. Love the setup and my HR34. Add just the HR34 (or HR44 if your lucky) and whole home and you will be a happy camper me thinks...

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I was able to get a Genie for free and had it over a year as well and love it! Having 5 tuners, so you can record 4 programs and still have a tuner to watch something live is great. Double the storage of an HR DVR, double the series recordings and PIP also come in handy. Go for it!

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Big plus, at least on my books!

12. TermiNader

TermiNader DIRECTV since 1997

Jul 10, 2007
    I plan to do do a similar setup by replacing one of my HR20's with a Genie and keeping my HR24 and other HR20 connected.

I called DIRECTV today and said 'cancel service'. I explained to the first person that talked to me why I was conisdering DISH even though I've had DIRECTV for 16 years. He explained all the limitations of the Hopper. Then he said I could get the Genie for free with just a $50 installation fee.

13. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    I had the same question with a similar setup. Good to know there is now "advance Genie" fee or something. My contract is up this month, I believe.

I get a $10 credit for HD since I signed for HD for Life two years ago. I hope "for life" doesn't mean anything other than for life. However, if I upgrade to the Genie will I lose the HD credit? I notice they have many different fees for different things and I am afraid if I get the Genie I will be paying for a different advanced tv/dvr fee which may eliminate the HD cradit. Do I get to keep my HD for free?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, the new fee structure is for new customers as of 2/2013