1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to HD DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dherndon, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008
    Well, i've been using the DirecTivo Series2 unit for a long time, and will continue for a bit longer....but the wife has given permission to upgrade the home theatre to HD/DVR. I have the basic OTA channels now through my Media Center PC. I've been reading the great info here....thanks to everyone who puts together these FAQ's....good stuff.

With that said, I have a few questions outstanding:

With all the reviews around the different HR21 "models" (700, 100, etc), I'm assuming when you call direcTV you don't get to choose.....question is, do you care? They all have the same features and capacities, right? Just look a little different on the inside?

It appears there COULD be an opportunity to negotiate for free dish, and possibly lower priced DVR's.......with free installation. Use the "i've been a customer for a long time" approach coupled with "I'm shopping my HD options". Anyone else got a better trick? <g>

I'll still have my DirecTivo Series 2 upstairs in the living room, but perhaps I can negotiate to get the second HR-21 .... we'll see.

Lastly, I see people are expanding their HD Drive storage with eSATA drives...is this common? I think the standard drive probably will fit my needs...i'm not a packrat.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Dave,

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

1. You will not get to choose which model they will send you... You are correct though... The only differences are internal and shouldn't matter to you... Any HR21 would work just fine...

2. It may be best to just sit back and see what they offer you first... Offers vary for everyone... Lots of factors go into the deals they offer you... Here is a link to some tips that may be useful for you... http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=839938&postcount=3

3. Adding an eSata drive is pretty common around here... however, I find the recording space to be ample... You could always play it by ear and see if one is necessary... but for most everyday users, I don't think it's a must...

3. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    Hi Dave...welcome!

The basic features and capacity of the HRXX DVR's don't change enough to matter. The HR20 has OTA built in, where as it can be added to the HR21.

As for deals...I find an honest review of your subscription history and a friendly disposition will help you find out what deals are available for you. Even if you get the first HD DVR for free, I don't think you can get a second free unit for at least another 6 months...but those things change all the time.

Added storage is very nice to have, but you can do that at any time...so i suggest you live with the new box for a while and see if it meets your needs.

Good luck!

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    you may also want to shop retail (Walmart, Best Buy, etc) and see if you can get a better deal there, then go to D* for install

5. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Welcome as well!

A couple thoughts to add to what AirRocker said

1. Think of them all as functionally equivalent.

3. If you're HR10-250 has enough capacity for you, the HR2x should as well. If you feel that you need more space, I would recommend doing it initially. If you wait to add the eSATA until later then you have the issue of some content on the internal drive that you can't access while the eSATA drive is attached. You don't lose anything, but it does make things inconvenient to get content off the internal drive while the eSATA is attached.

Edit - sorry, thought you mentioned HR10-250. Either way, if you have stock DirecTivo's and haven't upgraded their drive capacity, you'd probably still be fine with the storage capacity of the HR2X (IMHO).

6. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Just called last week to inquire about getting a new HD receiver in place of a standard one and was told that they are not giving any price breaks because of the high demand for their HD. Held off for now until I really need it but I have been with D* just about 1 1/2 years and paid on time everytime and subscribe to the premier package along with hotpass and the Sunday ticket and still wouldn't give me any sort of break.
    Just wanted to share that info so you may have to deal a little more. I got my 2nd HDDVR for 89.00 with the discounts and free movies but I had to really work for that and that was before the new HD channels.

Good Luck and Welcome to DBSTalk also!
    Larry

7. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the fast reply and great advice. I'll make my first contribution back in a few days once I see how it goes when I call them....(tomorrow).

Dave.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One thing to remember when upgrading... If you are just getting HD service, then most likely you will need to have your dish upgraded. Many people are getting the install for free although others are having to $99.

Good luck!

- Merg

9. Apr 1, 2008 #9 of 16
    farleyruskz

farleyruskz Mentor

Dec 27, 2005
    I called on Sunday, said "Cancel" to the IVR to get to retention, and asked if they could do any better than the $199 offer for the HD DVR upgrade. I was offered the HD DVR for $99 + 19.99 s/h, free install and dish replacement, and 6 months free HD access.

10. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008
    Update: Ok, well nothing is easy it seems. "Choice" is getting in the way. Hopefully you guys can straighten me out (or not!)

I went to the dish site to gather some "facts and offers" before calling DirecTV to see what deal I could get to upgrade my whole setup to HD and HR-21's, etc.

After reading some reviews of the DVR that Dish offers (722), man, this looks like a much better device than the HR-21/20, which at best seemed to get very mediocre reviews on CNET and other locations. I understand this device has gotten better with software upgrades over time, but even some of the recent reviews were pretty dismal.

Then if you look at the HD channels offered, DirecTV wins hands-down, and the recent satellite "anomoly" from Dish would seem to indicate they might not catch up too soon......hard to say.

So it appears I have to choose between more HD channels (DTV) or a better DVR (Dish). Anyone got thoughts on this? I'm sure i've missed some things....but honestly, can't afford to analyze this forever <g>.

Dave.

11. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Just remember most of those reviews are a year+ old.. It's come a long way in that time...

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you have "the facts".
    I'm quite happy with my 2-HR20s, HR21, & H21.
    There are some features in the Dish DVR that aren't in the DirecTV DVR. If these are things you feel you need/want, then they will be a factor. If they aren't, then....programing is what you'll be watching.
    When I looked at both, I used channels that I would actually watch as my guiding factor.

13. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008
    Ok, I finally got around to calling them today and started the negotiation process. They offered me two HD DVR's for 99 each, free installation, and 10 bucks off for the next six months (72.99 package - 10.00).

She didn't budge when I pulled the Dish card on her politely. Their current offer is two FREE HD DVR's, 3 months service free, and free installation. Actually, I think they are talking about 1 DVR (the 722 can multiplex to two TV's/Rooms).

So I told her i'd think on it....unfortunately, I can't get back to her directly....she was very nice :) and made me really believe they wanted to keep me after 10+ years......

So should I beat them up for more? I guess that's a pretty good deal....I just hate paying for hardware any more after buying so many DTV receivers and DVR's in the past.

Dave.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the days of "free HD DVRs" are over. While $200 for two HD DVRs isn't "free", it may be the best you can get. A year ago, you might have done better...
    Is it worth still beating them up? That would be for your to decide.

15. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008
    Just to wrap the thread and say thanks to everyone for their advice, I got my upgrade today!

I'm the proud new owner of 2 HR-20 100 DVRs (yes, they are still installing these here near Charlotte, NC). So i've got OTA if I need it later. However, looking at the local channels tonight in HD, I don't think i'm going to need OTA for any quality concerns that is.

All for 99 for each DVR (2) .... with free install and Jerry, my installer, was one cool dude!

So far, i'm not looking back at the DirecTivo unit I was using.....I love the new DTV software and interface.....and to think I questioned it..... :)

Thanks again!

Dave.

16. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    dave.. Glad everything worked out for you!! Make sure to check in here for any questions you may have!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.