1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to HD from DirecTivos?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jca, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jca

jca New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    So we are finally throwing in the towel on our three DirecTivo R10s and upgrading to HD. A few questions on upgrading our old equipment/dish/install to HD:

1. Is a phone line still required to activate new HR24 (or any HD) receiver(s)? I've tried reading old threads about this and I cannot tell if this is still an issue. We have phone jacks at each receiver, but we have not had land line phone service for a long time now. I'm not really interested in temporarily paying for phone service again just to activate receivers. Our new install will include Whole Home MRV (with Internet Connection Kit), so can the installer activate all the receivers via our internet connection or by calling in and giving them receiver ID numbers?

2. Is there any install scenario where we could keep one/some of our R10 DirecTivos working in the same environment as new HD DVRs? I assume R10s would not work with a new dish single wire configuration? Is there a way to make these old receivers work alongside a HR24 DVR?

3. I've read that you cannot guarantee receiving HR24 receivers -- is this still the case? Several threads mention rejecting the receivers if the installer shows up without them and get the install rescheduled until they can provide those HR24s. Does that work?

4. I'll be calling DirecTV and playing roulette to see what kind of offer I will get. Considering I want three R10s upgraded to three HR24s, MRV Whole Home with Internet Connection Kit, new dish/lnb/wiring install, and HD lineup, what kind of minimum offer should I expect so I know what to reject and try again or to accept?

Appreciate any help info.

2. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    I just removed an old Hughes DTivo from my account last weekend (I'm planning on removing an old RCA DTivo from the account tonight). I actually did have a phone line connected at the time of the activation, but asked and the CSR and she told me that it wouldn't matter. She said that the only thing phone lines are used for now are for Caller ID and for ordering On Demand movies. I'm sure someone else here can give you a more definitive answer.

As of a week or so ago this was still true. I called D* and the CSR agreed that the best way for me to guarantee that I got what I wanted was to order it on my own. I got 2 HR24s from amazon for $180ea. You'll see this route suggested many times on the forums. It's already taking 4 weeks to get an installer out to my house for the dish install. I certainly wouldn't want to reschedule 1 or 2 times because they didn't arrive with HR24s. Apparently the free HD offers are keeping installers quite busy.

I requested the exact same thing as you except I was only replacing 2 receivers. D* had originally offered me a $99 loyalty discount on an HD-DVR. Since I bought 2 receivers on my own, they agreed to apply my discount to the install of the Whole Home DVR Service which costs $99. The internet connection kit ($25) was free if ordered as part of the upgrade. They also gave me 3 month of the HD Extra Pack, 1 month of Showtime, and 3 months of Starz. I don't know how this compares to some folks, but I thought it was pretty good.

Gotta say, I really think I'm gonna miss the Tivo interface, but I'm still really excited about finally upgrading to HD! Maybe D* will improve their interface sometime soon and that will take away a bit of the pain. :)

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    1. No. Byrd is right, that is the only thing a phone line will get you is caller ID. PPV can also be done via the network.

2. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=175094
    That link is to a list of SWM/MRV compatible receivers

3. You can reject the install, but if HR24s is what you truly want, you can purchase them from Solid Signal or some other online retailer and see if you can get credits on your account for them

4. YMMV as to the offer you receive.

4. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    You and other poster are wrong about phone lines going to R10 or non-networkable recievers. If you ever plan on ordering a PPV with your remote on that unit than it has to be connected to phone line. (Phone downloads your purchases to D* for billing)

5. jca

jca New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about PPV or any other phone line uses. I delete the "Please Make a Daily Call" message all the time. :)

I just want to make sure that when the DirecTV installer comes with HD receivers, they will activate those new receivers without any phone line whatsoever.

6. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The fact that you have the Internet Connection Kit definitely means you dont need the phoneline. Anything that would have been done over the phone (except Caller ID of course) will now be done over the network.

Updates come from the dish itself and no longer need to dial out for those.

7. jca

jca New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    By the way I forgot to mention that the ideal scenario would be to upgrade two of our R10s to HR24s and leave one R10 in place. Would this be possible if they change out the dish and wiring (SWM single wire?) for the HD? I know an R10 is not MRV or SWM compatible, but would like to keep one R10 going if at all possible.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    To use the R10, you would need to have either a non-SWM installation or use an external SWM8 multiswitch, which has 3 legacy ports which could feed the R10. Alternately, as part of a whole-home DVR setup, Directv will replace your R10 with a R16, which is SWM-compatible.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV will NOT switch you to a SWM system if you still have legacy (non-SWM-compatible) receivers on your account, which then means no (supported) MRV (via DECA networking).