1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

upgrading to HD Tivo from regular Tivo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tntblack, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tntblack

tntblack New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Just purchased a new HD ready TV (Samsung 32"). I currently have the satellite dish for the Para Todos programming (not using the Spanish programming). I plan to purchase HR10-250 receiver. My dish appears to be oval in shape but does not have the third LNB. Can this dish be upgraded for the HD signal by adding the third LNB or do I have to purchase another satellite dish. Also I have two other regular receivers (Mirror) connected.

Thanks

2. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk, Tntblack :hi:

First off congratulations on your new HDTV! Yes you can keep your existing dish. All you have to do is purchase and add the ‘sat c’ LNB. This LNB goes in the middle gap between the 101 (sat a) and 119 (sat b) LNB and requires a signal combiner. The sat c kits are becoming a rarity as the Phase3 dish has really taken off, for an idea what you need click here.

I’m sure you can find the sat c kit at other online retailers or Ebay, but 110degrees.com is the only place off the top of my head that I know still carries them. If you look around you may be able to find it cheaper then $40.

3. Flyboy917

Flyboy917 Legend

Oct 24, 2003
    Don't spend a dime. Just call DirecTv and they will will come out and install a new dish for free. One year subscription contract...but if your going to buy an HD Tivo, I would assume you plan on having DirecTv for a while.

Cheers,
    Flyboy

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Or you could try that :) Great idea Flyboy! The Phase3 dish is really the way to go. No signal combiners and switches to worry about. The less hardware in the mix, the fewer things that can go wrong.

5. bensn1

bensn1 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I ordered my HR10-250 from rapidsatellite.com a few days ago. Yesterday I called DirecTV, and was told that if I wanted them to upgrade my dish from dual LNB to triple LNB there would be a $49 charge. Maybe the dish is free and the $49 covers the installation, I didn't ask. I asked if they had a Sat-C upgrade kit, and I was told that they could send my one for $8, so I took that option. It is my understanding is that it is an easy installation. I guess I will know more when it arrives!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.