1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Upgrading to latest equipment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by fruzick, Jan 10, 2014.

1. fruzick

fruzick New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I have a hr-34 receiver and have been a long time customer of directv and have been paying for the protection plan for all those years.
    Directv says that I can get an upgrade to the latest equipment every two years.
    I have tried several times now to upgrade from my hr34 to the hr44 but Directv says a Genie is a Genie and not upgradeable.
    In there words they are exactly the same. I know they are not as my daughter has the hr-44 and I can see a big difference in it's
    operation. Also, the optical audio output would interface into my home theater system better. The hr-34 is not the latest equipment!
    Anyway, are there any ideas that I can use to convince Directv to allow me to upgrade and return the hr-34. I only want one genie.

Thanks for any ideas.

Fred

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The protection plan upgrade is to a higher (based on their definition) class of device. DVR to Genie, reciever to client etc. It does not allow for moving up within a class.

The only way to get an HR44 as an upgrade is to order it from a reseller and swap it out.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    not necessarily, and upgrade can also be from an HD receiver so an HD receiver... or form an HDDVR to an HD receiver to lower the monthly fee. and upgrade is just changing out the class.

4. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    you could fake a problem (issue) with your 34 - and request a service call $50 fee waved for the PP and when the installer Shows -he will replace it with a HR44 if he has one on the truck

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When the techs get there and finds a perfectly working Genie, he might not replace it.... of course a "Grant" on hand, goes along way