1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to MRV using SWM-8: amidoinitrite?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by speakercity, Jul 30, 2010.

1. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    OK, dudes, I've been researching for a couple weeks now and I think I have it figured out.

What I have:
    Slimline (the non-swm kind)
    SWM-8 multiwitch
    1x4 splitter feeding 4 HR21s

What I'm adding:
    1 HR24
    4 DECA modules.

My first question is this: Should I upgrade my 1x4 splitter to a 1x8 to accommodate the fifth HD DVR or should I just use the second SWM output on the SWM-8? I know the power inserter powers the entire SWM-8, but will MRV work with the lone HD DVR that's connected directly to the SWM-8?

And the other thing I have yet to find a solid answer on is if an internet connection is REQUIRED for Whole Home DVR. One of the FAQs on this board says no, but I wanna be sure. I don't care about on-demand or remote scheduling. I just wanna utilize MRV.

Also, I have one non-HD receiver connected to the legacy port on the SWM-8. I can just leave that guy as is right?

If you guys need me to make a schematic in MS Paint, I can do that. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, one more question. Can I have Directv send me the DECA modules without the installer? I wanna do this myself and wouldn't mind saving $50 by not having an installer come to my house.

2. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    OK, dudes, I've been researching for a couple weeks now and I think I have it figured out.

What I have:
    Slimline (the non-swm kind)
    SWM-8 multiwitch
    1x4 splitter feeding 4 HR21s

What I'm adding:
    1 HR24
    4 DECA modules.

My first question is this: Should I upgrade my 1x4 splitter to a 1x8 to accommodate the fifth HD DVR or should I just use the second SWM output on the SWM-8? I know the power inserter powers the entire SWM-8, but will MRV work with the lone HD DVR that's connected directly to the SWM-8?

And the other thing I have yet to find a solid answer on is if an internet connection is REQUIRED for Whole Home DVR. One of the FAQs on this board says no, but I wanna be sure. I don't care about on-demand or remote scheduling. I just wanna utilize MRV.

Also, I have one non-HD receiver connected to the legacy port on the SWM-8. I can just leave that guy as is right?

If you guys need me to make a schematic in MS Paint, I can do that. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, one more question. Can I have Directv send me the DECA modules without the installer? I wanna do this myself and wouldn't mind saving $50 by not having an installer come to my house.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    1) You are going to be over the tuner limit of the SWiM8, you need a SWiM16

2) You do not need an internet connection if not desired.

4. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    D'oh. Posted in the wrong forum. Off to Directv installation...

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    PM a mod to move it.

6. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Wow, that was a fast reply! Thanks!

1) Two of the HR21s will only utilize one tuner. So I will only be using 8 tuners total.

2). OK! Great, thanks for giving me the extra assurance I was looking for.

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Sounds good.

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The "thing" about the SWM8 is that it doesn't have an internal band stop filter, so you need to add one (you would add it between the splitter and the SWM output you're currently using.) Doing this will disable the DECA from "crossing" to the SWM8's second SWM port (meaning you cannot use it for MRV.) In summary replace the 1X4 splitter with the 1X8 and add a BSF.

Yes, that will work just fine.

Probably not likely... Why not let D* do it and get a SWM16 out of the deal? They'll also replace your legacy box so everything is SWM capable and you'll be able to use dual tuners on all boxes. Play a little CSR roulette and get a deal on the install.

9. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Ah, that makes sense. I'm guessing the SWM16 has an internal band stop filter, which is why a lot of the schematics I've looked at here don't show a bandstop filter near the SWM16.

Thank you very much for the info.

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That's correct, I added a bit to my above post. Let D* take this one; trust me, you'll come out ahead.

11. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    With 4 HR21 DVR you are at the max number of tuners(8) for the SWM8 unless you are running several in single tuner mode (which I'm not sure is an option when a SWM is detected).

So to use DECA you would need a SWM16 and an 8 way splitter to add the additional DVR. If you chose to remain with your current 4 units your SWM8 *might* not be DECA compatible (needs green sticker to be such).

1 DECA unit per HR21 is proper with a 5th (or internet connection kit) for hooking the cloud up to receive VOD via the internet. If a 5th DECA is used it will need a power inserter in order to function.

I'm certain the gurus here will correct any omissions I have made. My set up uses my home network for WHDVR AKA MRV and I'm running 15 tuners (6 DVRS + 3 HD receivers off of 2 SWM8 modules so I'm very abnormal in my set up but it works flawlessly.

I'd call if I were you and let D* do this for you and negotiate the price. For you to set up the infrastructure to support 10 tuners, DECA, and VOD would cost far in excess of the package offer they'll make you.

Don "my set up cost me a whole bunch more than 50 bucks" Bolton

12. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Dual tuner isn't really necessary on two of the receivers. One is in the garage, the other is in an exercise room. I don't care about the legacy box, it never gets used. CSR roulette isn't something I care for. Don't get me wrong, I think Directv has GREAT customer service. But the less time I have to spend talking to some CSR, the better. Although, I am gonna have to call them to order up the Whole Home DVR upgrade anyway, so I'll see what they're willing to offer.

13. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    If I read your post correctly, you have 5 DVRs. If that is the case, you will need a SWM-16. The SWM-8 can only support 8 tuners. 5 DVRs is 10 tuners.

MRV does not require internet access, but you will want to manually assign IP addresses to each of your receivers in that case.

As far as I know, D* will not send you DECAs for self install. You might be able to get the Whole Home DVR installed at reduced or not cost depending on your account history.

14. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    I reread your post. Your SWM-8 is maxed out with your 4 HR21s.

15. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Yeah, but I read that there is a setting to disable one of the tuners. If I did that with two of the HR21s, I would be at 8 tuners.

I can disable the second tuner if I'm using SWM, right?

16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    One last thing, there have been instances of MRV not working correctly on DVR's configured for single tuner use. That's something to think about going forward... Good luck with your decision!

17. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    This green sticker business is news to me. Looks like I'll have to get the extension ladder out when I get home tonight.

EDIT: I ordered the SWM8 from Solid Signal in January of 09. Anyone know if it'll have the green sticker based on that info?

18. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Now that's a problem. Looks like I'll be upgrading to SWM-16.

19. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    No ommisions Don, just a couple of "updates" ;)

You can run single tuner on a SWM setup

In the OP's case one "leg" of the SWM16 would have a 4 port splitter (4 DVR's) and the other leg would not need a splitter (new HR24 plugged directly into module.) Just remember that each port of the SWM16 can handle a max of 8 tuners. In case the OP wanted to continue to use the legacy box then that would be upgraded to a SWM compatible unit and a two-way splitter would be utilized on the second SWM16 "leg."

Any SWM8 is DECA compatible, it just needs a BSF and you can only use one SWM port for MRV.

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Any SWM8 is DECA compatible, it just needs a BSF and you can only use one SWM port for MRV. Just use green label splitters off the SWM8.