1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Virus software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Five Hole, May 4, 2004.

1. Five Hole

Five Hole Legend

Jun 23, 2002
    My yearly subscription to Norton's anti-virus is up in a few days and I was wondering if should renew it. Is getting the 2004 version a good idea or should I renew my subscription? I was thinking the 2004 "virus engine" might be better. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
  3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Usually you can purchase the new version for only a bit more than the subscription update costs. The newer engine in the 2004 version is better and does a better job of detection, especially for trojans/worms. It also requires much less in system resources than previous versions.

While other AV programs are available, reviews in CNET, PC World, PC Magazine, and several other sources show that Norton AV ranks at the top in detection/removal. And updating the virus definitions in Norton is generally far easier than in many others, some of whom require manual downloading and copying of files.

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    However, be aware that NAV 2004 requires registration as Windows XP does. If you're used to buying one copy and installing it on four machines in your house, NAV 2004 will make you buy enough licenses to make you legal.

I've got a Norton site license for my handful of Windows 2000 servers (which aren't supported by any NAV past 2001), so I know I'm legal. I just find the workstation registration annoying.

5. tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    $19.95 to renew subscription, 39.** to buy NAV 2004. I'd recommend buying the newest NAV, or any of the ones that Cori recommended. But do consider what Carload says. In the end, unless your antivirus software is like really old, you should be pretty well protected, the reason why its good to consider getting the newest program, is because sometimes they enable new things, I just recently updated, and one of the things I don't think was in NAV2003, 2004 scans for spyware. As time goes by there is different threats that come up.

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What I would like to see is a review that included AVG. They may have been done, but I've never seen one. The magazines only look at the progams that cost money, not what you can get for free. My own experience with AVG has been very good, it just would be interesting to see how they rated it.

7. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    I've beem using AVG for over 2 years with no virus break-in on my systems. And AVG updates are very quick(in seconds) and can be set to update automaticly.
    As for Norton, I personally have seen it cause total system crash at startup. This is probably uncommon to most computers, but I wouldn't use Norton if they paid me.

8. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    The extra licenses for home users is not as much as another copy. I purchased Nav2004 from Norton for 3 machines and the extra cost for the additional 2 machines was not very much.

9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    You most likely saw that on a Win9x machine. Norton on Win2000 or XP is extremely stable, with the 2003 and 2004 versions having some of the least impact on the total system of any of the major antivirus packages.