1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upload Movies/Video to Hr24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Skizza, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Is there a way to upload video files from your PC to your networked HR24 receiver to watch them on your TV? I see listed as Network Media devices on my PC "DirectTV Mediashare Rederer", and "DirectTV2PC Media Server".

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you have a media server on your computer (WMP11 or higher, Tversity or Playon are examples for Windows) and have sharing set up, there will be a menu entry called "Music, Photos & More". This will allow you to view the content from your computer. The DVRs will accept LPCM or MP3 music, MPEG2 videos or JPEG pictures. Other formats must be converted unless you use a server which can properly transcode the files. The files will be streamed, not uploaded to the hard drive.

3. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, WMP version number is 12.0.7

4. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Tried converting video to MPEG-2 (.vob), and MPEG-3 (.ts) and neither would play. Any ideas?

5. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Try renaming the files to .mpg or .mpeg.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Is the process not involved store video to HRxx disk, but just streaming thru, from PC to TV via DVR ?

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The only way to store video on the HR2x disk is by recording from the satellite, OTA tuner, or by On Demand. Watching from another source by streaming it.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I use Tversity and stream the files to my H24's and my HR23. I never convert, Tversity does the work for you while streaming. Because the transcoding is done while streaming, HD video files just don't work well. I can watch a downloaded *.avi or *.mkv movie and watch perfectly fine. Stick with the 700mb to 1400 mb file sizes for a 1.5 hour movie. FWIW, there is only pause and play. No FF or rewind. Also, if you stop watching a movie or show, no way to pick up where you left off. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Xbox360's and PS3's have better native file support.

9. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Tried and no dice.

Ok, Got Tversity working...thanks.

10. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Woah. Are you trying to play files from the HR24 on the PC? The only way to do that is with DirecTVtoPC. Files on an HRXX can only be played on that HRXX or streamed to another HRXX on your network or played via directvtopc. You cant copy or access them any other way.

If you have media on your PC that you want to play on the HRXX then Tversity is one of the easiest approaches, however the HRXX plays very few formats so transcoding is usually needed.

11. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Do the files show an "X" or a movie camera icon in the list?

I occasionally run into a file which won't play on my DVRs, but most do. My Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray player does a better job, however, including trickplay, although it has a few issues as well (I can't get it to work with Tversity). It also does Netflix and Vudu.

12. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010

No, quite the opposite, play files from PC on HR24. Tversity is working for me now, but native method isn't.

13. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Is anyone using Tversity to stream Netflix to your HR24? Can it be done?

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    As noted above it's because the HR2x's support very few formats natively. You need to use something like Tversity or PlayOn to transcode the video files into something the HR2x understands.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    PlayOn can be used to stream Netflix and Hulu (amoung a ton of other services and channels). It can also transcode local video files like Tversity. You can try it free for 14 days to see how you like it.

16. Skizza

Skizza Cool Member

Jul 3, 2010

Even when I convert to a file type HR24 understand, it still doesn't work.
    Thanks.